flight following in an MOA

green hornet

When flying through an MOA and actively using flight following, do you still need to contact the control tower of the class D airspace around a military airport such as Whiteman to penetrate the airspace?

When flying through an MOA and actively using flight following, do you still need to contact the control tower of the class D airspace around a military airport such as Whiteman to penetrate the airspace?

No. You would be talking to Whiteman Approach.

Pick up your flight following before your in Whiteman's area. KC Center/Approach is much easier to get started on with, as some of the controllers over at Whiteman can be short with the VFR traffic (or, they were when I flew over there a few weeks ago). Be prepared on the way out, when you leave their airspace to have flight following just dropped. They typically wouldn't give me over to KC Center/Approach when going back towards Kansas City

Pick up your flight following before your in Whiteman's area. KC Center/Approach is much easier to get started on with, as some of the controllers over at Whiteman can be short with the VFR traffic (or, they were when I flew over there a few weeks ago). Be prepared on the way out, when you leave their airspace to have flight following just dropped. They typically wouldn't give me over to KC Center/Approach when going back towards Kansas City

That sounds typical of an Air Force approach control. Sorry, but most our facilities don't have the ability to input flight plans quickly into the NAS where we can hand you off to an adjacent facility. You'll probably get something along the lines of; "Nxxxx exiting my airspace to the (direction), radar service terminated, squawk 1-2-0-0, for further flight following suggest (facility) on (frequency)."

Back