Flight Engineer time

BravoHotel

I am utilizing one of those career consulting companies.

They advise me to not to put FE time towards aircraft flown, total time, etc.

But I beg to differ, I used my FE time towards my ATP certification, it's a primary crew position the airplane can't move with out it, and that's almost 1,000 hours of heavy crew time.

What do ya'll think?

Last edited:

Wardogg

Meat Popsicle
After it applies to your ATP, I wouldn't count FE time for Total Time. I have some as well and used mine towards getting my ATP. But I never included it in my logbook.

Also FE time can only be counted in a 1 to 3 ratio up to 500 hours. So if you only got 1000 hours of FE time that would only count for around 300 hours towards the ATP total time requirement.

DE727UPS

I already had my ATP prior to being an FE. I had a separate column in my logbook for F/E and did not log it as total time. That said, it was a great experience for a kid who had no jet time to sit back and watch how things worked at a major airline before hopping up front. Agree it will be a great conversation piece at an interview.

BravoHotel

After it applies to your ATP, I wouldn't count FE time for Total Time. I have some as well and used mine towards getting my ATP. But I never included it in my logbook.

Also FE time can only be counted in a 1 to 3 ratio up to 500 hours. So if you only got 1000 hours of FE time that would only count for around 300 hours towards the ATP total time requirement.
Right. ATP box checked. Its just the question of moving forward.

Wardogg

Meat Popsicle
Right. ATP box checked. Its just the question of moving forward.
Yeah man, I don't use them anymore. And you be hard pressed to convince anyone you had more total time because of it.

I get it trust me. 15 years as a FE. 20 years of CRM, ADM, and all I got was these lousy 500 temporary hours. But there is nothing in writing that's going to back you up.

However it did help me with some renters insurance. They allowed the hours to count. LOL

QXDX

I am utilizing one of those career consulting companies.

They advise me to not to put FE time towards aircraft flown, total time, etc.

But I beg to differ, I used my FE time towards my ATP certification, it's a primary crew position the airplane can't move with out it, and that's almost 1,000 hours of heavy crew time.

What do ya'll think?
I think those career consulting companies don't just make stuff up. If they're advising you not to do something, there is a reason for it. You're paying money to get their professional advice, and apparently disregarding it. It’s your choice, of course, but it seems like a waste of money.

BravoHotel

I think those career consulting companies don't just make stuff up. If they're advising you not to do something, there is a reason for it. You're paying money to get their professional advice, and apparently disregarding it. It’s your choice, of course, but it seems like a waste of money.
Right. It's a resume bullet point now. Not included with the TT.

Adler

Low-Level Individual
The FAA counts FE towards total time for an ATP.

Let's say following the advice above, you apply somewhere but don't list FE time anywhere. 1300 total time with a real unrestricted ATP. An employer would throw our you app because it's impossible .

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
You did the flying, and you were mandatory crew, put it in the resume as total time and delineate it specifically in a bullet point.

Also, people put too much weight on these sorts of minutiae.