Flight crew mooning cars on highway etc.

Nick

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20080927/BREAKING/809279982

Pilots charged with public intoxication

By Matthew Stewart
of The Daily Times Staff

Two airline pilots were arrested after an incident Friday on Alcoa Highway during which one of the men pulled his shorts down and mooned northbound traffic, according to an Alcoa police report.

Officers responded to a call of an intoxicated subject at El Sazon Mexicano Restaurant, 2650 Alcoa Highway, Alcoa. Officers received information en route that one of the men became irate with the restaurant’s manager after employees refused to serve him more alcoholic drinks, according to the report.

The subject also allegedly attempted to start a physical confrontation with management employees.

While approaching the general area, an officer observed Jeffrey Leon Saltis, 43, Pittsburgh, Pa., pulling his shorts down and mooning northbound traffic. Officers also noticed another male subject later identified as Michael Cody Etzel, 25, Richmond, Va., walking with a female in front of Applebee’s.

The female was attempting to take pictures of the male subject showing his buttocks to the public, according to the report.

Saltis told officers he was a pilot with United Express, according to the report.

Bill Mishk, a spokesperson for Trans States Airlines, which is affiliated with United Express, said the company can confirm they received notification that two employees were detained by local authorities Friday.

Mishk, however, could not for reasons of confidentiality identity these employees, he said.

The employees were pilots, and they were moved immediately from flight status, said Mishk. Trans States Airlines is currently investigating the matter, he said.

Saltis was charged with public intoxication and indecent exposure.

Etzel was charged with public intoxication.

Both men were free on bonds pending a 1:30 p.m. Oct. 6 hearing in Blount County General Sessions Court.

Great scott...

I can already see the "Dear Dough" email already.

But, but Dough, it only happened once......will it hurt me getting a 121 job?? Ok, twice, I swear, it's only happened twice.

Why won't you write me that letter of recomendation????

You know after I read that it kind of ticks me off a little bit. :mad: Why is it that they have to mention that they are pilots that just happen to have got caught with there shorts down, literally. I don't ever racall reading something along the lines that a truck driver arrested at a truckstop for having a prostitute in his truck. What do you think will happen to these guys, get disciplnary action or get canned? What steps will ALPA take to protect their jobs and careers?

lol.

i mean yeah i agree, you never hear this about cashiers, car factory workers, call center phone monkeys.... but man, if a PILOT does something stupid...headlines!

still, lol. what a bonehead move.

You know after I read that it kind of ticks me off a little bit. :mad: Why is it that they have to mention that they are pilots that just happen to have got caught with there shorts down, literally. I don't ever racall reading something along the lines that a truck driver arrested at a truckstop for having a prostitute in his truck.

Because people expect more of pilots since it is a job of high responsibility.

You know after I read that it kind of ticks me off a little bit. :mad: Why is it that they have to mention that they are pilots that just happen to have got caught with there shorts down, literally. I don't ever racall reading something along the lines that a truck driver arrested at a truckstop for having a prostitute in his truck. What do you think will happen to these guys, get disciplnary action or get canned? What steps will ALPA take to protect their jobs and careers?

I agree. Getting drunk and making an ass of yourself shouldn't be a career ender, unless maybe you do it at the company Christmas party.

So long as these guys were not driving, not on company time, and not so bad off they'd still be drunk or hung over when it came time to fly again, this should not be news and should be no concern of their employer.

Name the quote game:

"You see that flash of light in the corner of your eye? That's your career dissipation light. It just went into high gear."

As long as they aren't convicted of a felony, then I'm sure their jobs are safe. They are, however, monumental morons. Anyone else getting tired of bozos like this making us all look bad?

Something with fires

Name the quote game:

"You see that flash of light in the corner of your eye? That's your career dissipation light. It just went into high gear."

The movie where the fires shoot out the bottom of the door, where they open it up and it burns more. Something with "draft" I think.

As long as they aren't convicted of a felony, then I'm sure their jobs are safe. They are, however, monumental morons. Anyone else getting tired of bozos like this making us all look bad?

Nah. There are bozo's wherever you go. You remember a certain NASA astronaut? N.Y. State Governor? Etc. The list is really quite long.

Yeah I admit thats a boneheaded thing to have done. I'm not sure what Trans States rule is concerning the length of time between consuming alcohol and reporting for duty is. But if is say 12 hours and they were within that time frame then they could be in trouble. Now i've had one boneheaded moment in my short career in the 121 world. Almost got arrested on an overnight for jay walking. If you are ever in Flagstaff don't jay walk. Another thing i've made a rule of mine is, whenever i'm on a long enough overnight, 14 hours or more and we go to dinner or lunch. I only will have a couple of drinks, no more than 3 beers. Another thing happened to me once on an overnight in Flagstaff. We got in about 21:00 and weren't due out until 17:00 the following day. So we got to the hotel and the FA and myself went to Wild Wings for dinner and drinks. So after about a hour and a half being there my phone rings, I look to see who it is and it's the company. So i'm thinking to myself there is no way in heck i'm answering this. So I let it go to voice mail and check it is what they want. The message that they left me was they've been informed that the FA and I were drinking in a bar and that I need to call them back immediatly. I'm thinking to myself " what the deuce, how do they know that" So I called them back and asked for a supervisor, talked to her for a few minutes, then our regional chief. He puts me on hold for a few minutes to see whats going on after he even said that we weren't in any violation of the company policy regarding that we were outside of our 12 hour bottle to showtime rule. After a few minutes he gets back to me and explained to me that one of the passengers that we brought up from Phoenix was also there and recognized the FA and I. He thought that since we brought him up there we must be the ones flying out in the morning, so he called Us Airways who then reported it to our company.

Yeah it gets tiring reading something negative about our profession in the news papers. Every time something bad like this happens and it's brought to the publics attention, it seems like it's getting harder for us getting the traveling publics attention on more seriouse issues like, oh I don't know safety concerns, our degrading QOL, pay, abuse from management, fatigue, rest requirements which lead to fatigue, and another good one of mine 16 hour duty day.

Don't get me started on the whole PFT/PFJ thing. If you have a wet commercial ticket, get the CFI ticket and go teach, tow banners or whatever. Get some experience and time before you come play airline pilot:)

Yeah I admit thats a boneheaded thing to have done. I'm not sure what Trans States rule is concerning the length of time between consuming alcohol and reporting for duty is. But if is say 12 hours and they were within that time frame then they could be in trouble. Now i've had one boneheaded moment in my short career in the 121 world. Almost got arrested on an overnight for jay walking. If you are ever in Flagstaff don't jay walk. Another thing i've made a rule of mine is, whenever i'm on a long enough overnight, 14 hours or more and we go to dinner or lunch. I only will have a couple of drinks, no more than 3 beers. Another thing happened to me once on an overnight in Flagstaff. We got in about 21:00 and weren't due out until 17:00 the following day. So we got to the hotel and the FA and myself went to Wild Wings for dinner and drinks. So after about a hour and a half being there my phone rings, I look to see who it is and it's the company. So i'm thinking to myself there is no way in heck i'm answering this. So I let it go to voice mail and check it is what they want. The message that they left me was they've been informed that the FA and I were drinking in a bar and that I need to call them back immediatly. I'm thinking to myself " what the deuce, how do they know that" So I called them back and asked for a supervisor, talked to her for a few minutes, then our regional chief. He puts me on hold for a few minutes to see whats going on after he even said that we weren't in any violation of the company policy regarding that we were outside of our 12 hour bottle to showtime rule. After a few minutes he gets back to me and explained to me that one of the passengers that we brought up from Phoenix was also there and recognized the FA and I. He thought that since we brought him up there we must be the ones flying out in the morning, so he called Us Airways who then reported it to our company.

"The whole world is watching, the whole world is watching!"

For bonus points, name the event...

Kevin

what the deuce! is right!

i would have taken a good look around the room for a familiar face, and had i recognized whatever joe-sixpack had made the phone call, i would have promptly walked up to him and told him to mind his own farkin business!!

(yes, i am an internet-tough-guy!)

Back