Flight Benefits?

LinzoATC

Random question that I've never seen addressed on here--Does anyone know if ATCers receive flight benefits from their airport?

Random question that I've never seen addressed on here--Does anyone know if ATCers receive flight benefits from their airport?

Air traffic controllers used to fly free before 9/11. They used to be able to fly in the cockpit in the jump seat if it was available. After 9/11 those benefits were taken away and haven't been reinstated as of yet. Bummer:(

Seriously?! I don't understand how flight benefits are a conflict of interest...if we control the planes shouldn't we be able to ride on them too?

hopefully the FAM trips will be coming back in the next round of "contract negotiations"

I guess the conflict of interest comes in when it turns into "Oh I fly this airline, and they treat me better so they can land first" or some such. lol. I dunno, I was actually curious about this too. I assumed not, and it looks like I was right lol.

Seriously?! I don't understand how flight benefits are a conflict of interest...if we control the planes shouldn't we be able to ride on them too?

You can....just not for free. It's a conflict of interest because if individuals start receiving benefits from those they are supposed to be overseeing, charges of misconduct could quickly start arising. You could start seeing airlines bribe controllers for preferential treatment, controllers blackmailing airlines that don't provide benefits by putting their planes into perpetual holding patterns, etc.

A good example of why the FAA and airlines should not be cozying up to one another with any type of benefit-driven relationship is the AA/WN saga. The FAA needs to be completely objective and neutral with respect to the airlines they provide oversight for.

Thats absurd. Blackmailing and bribing can still occur under the table if certain parties REALLY wanted it to happen.

Considering the line of work, ATCers should at least be given some sort of discount on all airlines pertaining to their airport. If the discount is the same with all airlines, than it would be no easier/harder to bribe/blackmail with or without the discount.

Why do you hate benefits so much Sooner??:D

I think you can still go on military flights once or twice a year

This would fall under a Local Incentive Flight or FAM Flight (Familarization). I plan and coordinate all of these flights for my AF Base and I can ensure you there is no automatic benefit like this for FAA employees. There may be a coordinated program inplace between the military base and local FAA organizations though. We have a program in place for local buisness leaders from the area where they get an Incentive Flight once a year on our KC-135s.

I was actually talking to a controller the other day. He told me there is no such benefit and that they pay the government rate on flights, which actually works out to be more expensive? ( Y Class Ticket ) Im not sure of the validity of this statement, but lets hope its not true! :(

I've always dreamed of riding jump up at FL400 (for those not familiar with the lingo.. that's 40,000 feet). I wish they'd give us the jump-seat privilege back at least... as long as we have the security clearance. If I remember correctly, isn't our clearance a LOT higher than that of an airline pilot?

As for the "flying free", I can see how that'd be a conflict of interest and how it wouldn't be. Here's how I think it should be done:

Controller- Flies free & sits in the jump seat
Kids/Parents- Regular fare & they all sit somewhere in coach
Wife- Whatever they charge to ship a dog & she goes in the cargo bin :)

By doing this, the airline still gets some $$$ from us, we get to have an awesome view of the sky & listen into colleagues, and the whole family arrives at the same place (unless the cargo door opens in mid-flight).

Air traffic controllers used to fly free before 9/11. They used to be able to fly in the cockpit in the jump seat if it was available. After 9/11 those benefits were taken away and haven't been reinstated as of yet. Bummer:(

What if one is already on the plane, for travel purposes? Is it then under the pilot's discretion, whether to allow you into the cockpit/jump seat, or is it more or less a crapshoot altogether? I've always been hesitant to ask.

I've always dreamed of riding jump up at FL400 (for those not familiar with the lingo.. that's 40,000 feet).

If you think FL400 would be a blast try FL500, it is extremely creepy and a little scary since it is so quite and the engines don't have much air to grab onto since it is so thin. The view is pretty amazing since you can start to see the curvature of the earth, pretty awsome experience but very dangerous.

If you think FL400 would be a blast try FL500, it is extremely creepy and a little scary since it is so quite and the engines don't have much air to grab onto since it is so thin. The view is pretty amazing since you can start to see the curvature of the earth, pretty awsome experience but very dangerous.

That sounds glorious.

This would fall under a Local Incentive Flight or FAM Flight (Familarization). I plan and coordinate all of these flights for my AF Base and I can ensure you there is no automatic benefit like this for FAA employees. There may be a coordinated program inplace between the military base and local FAA organizations though. We have a program in place for local buisness leaders from the area where they get an Incentive Flight once a year on our KC-135s.

I'm 99% sure that if you work military aircraft in you area, you can have your manager coordinate with the base commander or someone in authority to make the decision and allow you a flight. I'm 100% sure this was the case in the past (pre-9/11), but I remember talking to someone at ZBW (where I work) saying that the program was still in place.

I'm 99% sure that if you work military aircraft in you area, you can have your manager coordinate with the base commander or someone in authority to make the decision and allow you a flight. I'm 100% sure this was the case in the past (pre-9/11), but I remember talking to someone at ZBW (where I work) saying that the program was still in place.

Like I said before without adding anymore percentages, Incentive Rides can be accomplished locally but don't expect to call up a military unit and tell them you are a controller or work for the FAA and expect a ride. Good luck nowadays since the cost of JP-8 has increased dramatically. When non-essential passengers are aboard crews are very limited on the training they can accomplish. Due to the cost the Air Force is not launching many sorties where training is not being accomplished, especially just for civilians. Military members don't even have a right or ability to jump onto a plane for a local flight without it being a requirment or earning it. They can ride as a passenger (space-A) while on leave but it is usually pretty boring since they are just dead-heading somewhere else.

Like the FAA and the aviation industry the military is operating a lot differently Post 9/11.

Back