First trip across the Atlantic at the controls (Pic Heavy)

OCArmory

The local gunrunner
I have been flying for a family for a coupe of years now. It has been great. For this family I fly a Citation 650 part 91. A couple weeks ago I had the great opportunity to take they from Orange County (KSNA) to Biggin Hill just outside London. We flew to Salina Kansas for our usual fuel stop when heading to New York then on to White Plains. I was lucky to have a couple days off to see New York before we made the jump. I have been to New York several times with them but am usually rushing to get on a commercial flight to get back home. Not this time I had three full days.
I was able to see the Intrepid with all the displays, the Statue of Liberty and or course Lombardis Pizza.

I saw the World Trade sight but didn't have time to go in.

Lots of construction in the area so it was tough to see things the way they were meant to be seen. Like this monument to the special forces.

From New York we left at 11:00PM and went to Goose bay for fuel. Sorry no pics as it was just dark out. After a quick fuel stop we headed to Reykjavik, Iceland. We landed around 11AM local. I was exhausted. The chief pilot and I spent the rest of the day cruising around town. Bumped into a pilot bringing a Caravan to the US from the Gold coast. (I would love to do a flight like that. Then up the next morning for the trip to London.

Fortunately since we were heading back to Montreal empty my girlfriend and the chief pilots’ family joined us for the trip home. We spent a couple day in London seeing the sights. Of course the Imperial War Museum.

And we stopped at the Burough Market for the best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever had. It was life changing.

A pic of the girlfriend and I before we head out to Reykjavik.

Me plotting our course on the Oceanic charts.

Now there are more pics as my girlfriend has the camera. The English countryside

Unloading back in Iceland.

First stop after we drop our bags is the hot dog stand. It was great.

The weather was cool and drizzle with periods of wind and rain but we travel well so that is always an excuse to dive into the nearest pub. We did a bus tour to see as much as we could as we only had two full days there. We went to the Blue Lagoon for a while. Very relaxing. You are supposed to rub the silca rich sand on you to soften your skin.

Gotta rep my day job

From there we took the bus to see where the continental plates meet, the geysers and the waterfalls. Or also know as the golden circle. It was worth the day trip but a lot of driving for what you see. Definitely take the bus so you can see the sights around you and not try and read the street signs.

There is a ton of history here and there are really cool statues and monuments all over.

My girlfriend got some great shots of Greenland on the way over.

Stopped back in Goose Bay for fuel and I got to play pilot this time

on to Montreal. Not overly impressed. Nice city with some nice views. Apparently hospitals wheel you out for a cigarette IV and oxygen still connected

The guy in the yellow vest is a police officer. Gun and pink shoelaces and everything. It was awesome.

It was a great learning experience. Using HF, giving position reports. fuel planning all the things I was looking forward to. Can't wait for some more flying adventures.

Mike

Iceland is amazing. I went there a couple years back for my honeymoon for a week and only saw about 1/4 of the island.

Cool pictures!

awesome shots...my first trip across the pond will be coming up shortly

Kinda miss the ol 650. Never took it across the water but it was always a good plane. Except for the hydraulic hump in the back. that annoyed me! Nice pics!!

Nice pics, they brought back a lot of memories! Thank you.
I used to live in Keflavik for a couple of years. The whaling industry was alive and well back then.
We came back to the US on a C-121 in 1976. I got to sit in the right seat up front for a while.
I remember seeing a whale breeching in the North Atlantic and also wondering why Greenland was covered with ice and Iceland was green.
We also stopped over in Goose Bay. At night, the flight crew showed me how to do celestial navigation using the little bubble window on the top of the fuselage.
It was the best flight of my life, and still is.

Back