First SuthernJet 73G

N826AW

Off-Duty Cop
Looks pretty sweet. They announced ATL-Tegucigalpa (Honduras) with the 73G today.

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/080722/146843.html

1372430.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Delta-Air-Lines/Boeing-737-732/1372430/M/?width=1024&height=695&sok=&sort=&photo_nr=&prev_id=&next_id=

Half-painted though.

Luckily, the -700 pays what the -800 does so that's a good thing.

It looks like the -700 is about the same size as a -300?

But here's a question. the -600/-700/-800/-900 are considered "NG/Next Generation". Well, it seems like "NG" is this generation so are any (inevitable *gag*) variants of the 6/7/8/9 going to be considered "the next NEXT generation"?

Half-painted though.

Luckily, the -700 pays what the -800 does so that's a good thing.

It looks like the -700 is about the same size as a -300?

But here's a question. the -600/-700/-800/-900 are considered "NG/Next Generation". Well, it seems like "NG" is this generation so are any (inevitable *gag*) variants of the 6/7/8/9 going to be considered "the next NEXT generation"?

Get a blended rate and get some 900ER's dammit! I *think* that they have the most range of all the 737 NG's!

Do you really want a -900 when the 75's a superior aircraft?

Have you compared the cockpit of a -900 versus a 75? Oh man, the 737 cockpit compared the 757 is a world apart. More or less the same passenger config' but dang, I've shoot myself after spending 6 hours in a 737 cockpit.

Have you compared the cockpit of a -900 versus a 75? Oh man, the 737 cockpit compared the 757 is a world apart. More or less the same passenger config' but dang, I've shoot myself after spending 6 hours in a 737 cockpit.

. . .yon know the 757 is my favorite. I just think that the 900ER's would be good on transcons and latin America.

And a good supplement plane to the 757. Maybe even freeing up more 75's to do trans-atlantic service. But, if you ask me, I'd not want to be on a 75 trans-atlantic either. Much the same as you'd not want to be on a 737 for 6 hrs.

Let's put it this way. Southernjets put 75's on JFK-FRA, we've lost the USPS contract, the German mail contract, biz elite has seats available and coach ain't doing a lot better. Hard to compete with a Lufthansa A-340 on the route.

Nevermind cockpit setting to prove 757 superiority. True test would be sitting in the jumpseat, evening ferry flight, no FLEX settings.

A few things.

-Doug, the -700's are incredibly similar to the smaller 737's. The power settings are all the same, and the only real difference would seem to be the gear up front. At least that's what the guys at CAL in my crashpad have told me. They told me flying a -900 is COMPLETELY different from flying a -700, but they can't tell the difference between a 300/500/700 as far as control feel.

-CAL is running their 737-900's like a lot of companies run 757-200's it seems. As somebody once said on here, a 737-900 looks like a low rider 757, they're huge! They're sending them across the country and down into Latin America. In fact they've got IRO's on 737's going down south they're taking them so far. One CAL guy told me he thinks it's a matter of time before they start sending them to the UK, as they're ETOPS certified.

-CAL is running 757's across the pond, they're also known as the RJ's of the North Atlantic. I commute on Widget 757's from SLC-EWR and let me tell you, sitting in the back of one of those things for 4.5 hours in a coach seat is torture enough. I can't imagine having to pull 7-8 hours at a stretch in a 757.

How long has Delta been called "SouthernJets"? I mean, the name fits but my dad worked for them for 27 years and I had never heard the term until I started posting here.

How long has Delta been called "SouthernJets"? I mean, the name fits but my dad worked for them for 27 years and I had never heard the term until I started posting here.
Doug's employer(DL) asks the he not use the airlines name on the website, so we use the term Southern Jets Intantunal.;)

Precisely. Long story short, there was a Delta flight attendant that got in trouble for blogging. Then her supporters went on an internet-wide sweep and discovered Jetcareers and suddenly, the airline was called "sexist" because she got in trouble and I never heard a peep.

The other time was when a training department guy moonlighting as the "director of new business" or something or rather at Delta Connection Academy lobbied to have me fired because I wasn't speaking glowingly of the academy and questioned the value of their program. At this point, I had enough and not only sicked ALPA legal on the situation, I also retained a very voracious attack dog attorney in Texas. He eventually left Delta and DCA. DCA has since apologized, but I've never heard a peep from Mr. Raker since.

(Howdy! I knew you'd read this! I'm not a fan of your new C.A.P.T. program either pal.)

Well, there's a lot more to the story fo sho.

Anyway, the ATL chief pilot at the time and I worked together to cut down any semblance of liability, which I really had none, but it's easier to refer to it by nickname rather than go through the song and dance about using the companies name.

I can use the name, but I feel a little more psychological freedom by using it's given nickname and I just don't feel like dealing with the hassle from the occasional "haters" out there.

The history of the nickname comes from one of my fraternity brothers and present United Airlines pilot. Now imagine a native Californian trying to imitate a southern accent: "Hey Doug! How you like flyin' dem delluh southernjets, they treatin' ya a'right?"

It was so funny, the name just kind of stuck.

I added the "Innanashnul" a few years later.

And it's just funny! Southernjets!

I prefer "The Widget."

BTW After sitting up front a few times, Doug, your company has its own lingo, though I guess every company does.

Back