First student landings

sdfcvoh

This is my Custom Title
This is probably a silly post, but its really been a great time. I have had my first "real" new student grasp landing. I've been working with quite a few other students that are in various moments in training from PPL - CSEL. But one in particular is my first true PPL. She happens to be in her 60s just following a dream.

Although the beginning lessons showed me she was a cool character with a great "3D" grasp, I quickly realized that the whole landing bit was going to be an ordeal. Long story short...she finally got it this week.

Her reaction (pumping hands and punching me repeatedly on the leg while squealing) was a great moment. I know most of you have been through this a ton of times, but for me... I was choking back the tears.

Not surprisingly, after that moment her radio work improved, and it just seemed like she became a PIC immediately.

:D Its a pretty cool job...

i wish i had some students like that. the only course i seem to have to teach landings in is the multi course (and that is only because no one teaches them properly before!). otherwise i teach CFI/II?MEI students

It makes it all worth it.

If you have not soloed anybody yet, pay attention to their voice on their first solo.
The first time around is all business, their voice in the very next call after the first landing has small but distinct change to it.
It makes me smile, every time i hear it.

That day - the day I put the plane down by myself - was a much bigger day for me than my solo. Although the solo was a milestone, I was extremely well-prepared for it thanks to a great CFI.

But the first unassisted landing was magical to me.

It was ugly, and there was some sideloading, and I was veering around trying to hold the centerline, but it was a landing with no damage.

The day that lesson ended the sun was going down, and I hung around at the field just staring at the plane and realizing that I had landed an airplane. That, more than anything else, struck a very deep chord inside me.

The day my students first start understanding landings and doing them without assistance is the greatest. Especially when they look at you like "did I do that". It's always the greatest when they are excited about flying!

This is what makes the responsibility of having students pilots worth it!! I love working with my pre-privates compared to my commercials.

....then you open your paycheck.
Just kidding
:yeahthat:Though by the numbers it looks fairly comparable to a first-year FO paycheck. And I don't have to commute or sit ready reserve in Newark. Plus, I work for a university so I get 2 weeks off at Christmas and in the summer. And some of it's even paid!

:yeahthat:Though by the numbers it looks fairly comparable to a first-year FO paycheck. And I don't have to commute or sit ready reserve in Newark. Plus, I work for a university so I get 2 weeks off at Christmas and in the summer. And some of it's even paid!
for me it is more like 3rd year pay, plus all of what you said, and family medical. it is hard to make a jump to anything else in this career because of the pay i am making now :(

The job is worth it sometimes.

My fondest feeling was after all of the training of a 50-60 year old. I received a card explaining that this was the one thing he wanted to persue as a dream and he finally was able to accomplish it.

He was also a fun student, wanting to go above and beyond (spin training, crosswind challenges, etc.) It cracked me up that he would come to the airport in a suit and tie (he was a lawyer). He of course was comeing or going to work after the flights.

I still have his card and it touches me. He also gave me a Garmin 496, both Americas. In reality the card means more to me than a $2500 gift (although I like the gift) :)

Back