FIRST SOLO

smokey1

I Finally did it!!!!! Ok, honestly I have never been this scared in my life. This was even scarier then playing in front of 34,000 people on ESPN. After my first landing I finally was able to relax. I did 3 circuits in the pattern to a full stop, it was pretty much non eventful. The only thing that happened was ATC told me to extend my downwind leg to let another cessna land in front of me. This pissed me off because the approach to 18L at New Orleans Lakefront Airport is over lake Ponchatrain, I get uneasy flying a single engine airplane over large bodies of water, also I couldn't tell where the sky stopped and the lake started but I managed to figure it out by looking out the side windows and other refrences. Now I understand why everyone gets so excited this was almost as exciting as the first I h............................... Oh wait, wrong forum
grin.gif
Smokey.......................................................................................

Feels good doesnt it. I didnt really feel different being in a plane by myself. I was just a little wierd thinking "hey there isnt anyone sitting over there.

Also the plane felt like a rocket s my 260 pound intructor got out.
smile.gif

Congratulations.

Tom

Congrats Smokey, its a day none of us ever forgets.
Hey Tom, I hear ya, my first instructor was 260 also.

You could say that it was as exciting as your first base knock in college or something similar, that way you could keep it PG-13 rated.

Way to go!

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats Smokey, its a day none of us ever forgets.
Hey Tom, I hear ya, my first instructor was 260 also.

[/ QUOTE ]

260? That just ain't right. Did he give you a discount for poor climb performance? haha

Congrats smokey!

What kind of aircraft are you training in? Cessna 152s are a tight squeeze as it is, I can only imagine what it's like with a 260 lb. guy next to you!

Smokin
It is exciting to hear of yet another great personal achievment. Congradulations!!! About the only thing more exciting than soloing for the first time is signing someone off for thier first solo, I am sure your CFI shares in your pride. There is nothing like soloing for the first time, I remember when I soloed a helicopter for the first time ( total time 4000+hrs.) it was as good as my first ASEL solo at 16hrs.

Yeah, I was the first guy my CFI soloed, did it in 8.2 hours.Can't wait until the next flight!
Smokey.....................................................................................................................................................................

It wasnt that he was fat. He was 6'7''. Worked at a diesel engine shop as his day job. A little husky but not huge.

I belive we were illegal when full of fuel. I did notice a couple of times I had to do a slightly faster approach to get the nose up fast enough to flare.

Tom

Congrats!

I remember being scared to death on my first solo as well. Everything was fine until you actually get airborne and then realize....Holy Crap, now I have to land this thing!

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that happened was ATC told me to extend my downwind leg to let another cessna land in front of me. This pissed me off

[/ QUOTE ]
Get used to it Smokey Lakefront isd probally the worst run ATC operation in the state of Louisiana (in my opinion). Did you have an older lady take you in (TWR), sort of with a possessed voice. I always found myself screwed when she was there, it seems like she doesnt know what the hell shes doing. Well anyway...Congrats on SOLO! Great accomplishment...

Back