First solo in actual

farwellbooth

Flew in the soup solo today for the first time w/o my instructor or an examiner. Wow super cool to actually descend out of the soup and have that baby lit up like a christmas tree awaiting your arrival!!!! I think it's up there w/ soloing for private. What a great day wooooooo hoooooooo

Question... I log the time out of the clouds (I was able to get on top) as simulated correct? Even though I'm not really simulating with foggles and I'm flying by ref. to instruments?

Nope. Simulated is only when you have a safety pilot and you're wearing the cool shades. Either that or a flight sim.

[ QUOTE ]
So it's all actual? Except for a little time for take off and landing? yikes and I'm IR rated

[/ QUOTE ]

No, if you were on top you could probably see, so I would not log that as actual.

Ok there seems to be some differences in opinions. So what is the correct way to log this?

I flew 3 approaches today solo on an IFR pland for a total of 1.6 hours. For .4 of those hours I was actually in the soup. thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Log 0.4 hours Actual Instrument.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok good. That's what I thought and originally did in ink. Thanks for the help

[ QUOTE ]
Ok there seems to be some differences in opinions. So what is the correct way to log this?

[/ QUOTE ]

The correct answer is: you're fired for not knowing prior to undertaking the operation.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A good way to think of it is "VFR on-top." Now, that's an IFR clearance, but you still need VFR conditions to get it. If you can see three miles in front of your face it's visual. Personally, I still think night w/o horizon should be IFR, but the FAA tends to disagree....

Question, can a VFR pilot get "VFR-on-top" if it's an IFR clearance? It is still VFR flight.

Example, I depart KMRB (MRB, WV) for 33N in DE from Frederick, MD to the Ches Bay is a layer of clouds low enough to fly over, can I get VFR on top so long as I have openings somewhere?

I know it may not be smart, counting on holes in clouds or such, just curious.

[ QUOTE ]
Question, can a VFR pilot get "VFR-on-top" if it's an IFR clearance? It is still VFR flight.

Example, I depart KMRB (MRB, WV) for 33N in DE from Frederick, MD to the Ches Bay is a layer of clouds low enough to fly over, can I get VFR on top so long as I have openings somewhere?

I know it may not be smart, counting on holes in clouds or such, just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

VFR Over the Top. VFR On Top is part of an IFR clearance which I wouldn't think a VFR pilot (non Inst rated) would be getting.

Yea I love flying solo in the soup, the fist time it happened for me was the day after I got my ticket, it wasn't much on that flight but still a great experience, it definatly builds the confidence.

Back