First solo...check ;PPL/IR combined CR...check

69_Bug_Dude

The Undertaker
Sorry for posting a little late on this, but as some may have seen on my ongoing thread in the ATP flight school section, I completed my first solo on Jan 20th. It was an awesome day that I will never forget. It really didn't hit me that I was alone until I was holding short and the radio call came in that I was cleared to TO. I scanned for traffic on short final as I made my way onto the runway and when I did, there was an empty seat next to me. I felt extremely happy yet anxious all at the same time! The next biggest, holy crap moment was after I lifted off and thought....damn I actually have to land this thing!!! After 80 hours of flight time and a ton of visual and instrument landings, it felt like second nature as I buzzed around in the pattern. And heck, there are plenty of people that soled with a lot less hours, so If they could do it...I could do it. After 3 uneventful takeoff and landings, I made my way back to the ramp, parked and got out feeling like I conquered the world. What an awesome feeling!

Fast forward a bit but not too far. After my initial solo, I did my XC solos and due to a wonderful stalled front, I didn't get to fly very much for nearly 2 and a half weeks. While I wasn't flying I was studying my butt off for my first ever checkride, the PPL/IR combo. Oh and ya May as well throw in the instrument written and CFII written exams for good measure during that time too(which I passed with no issues). Well after some intense studying and 7 hours of hell, I am officially a private pilot with my instrument rating as of this past Tuesday!!! Woooohoooo!!! I have surpassed 100 hours now and I am looking down the barrel at my ME add-on in a little over a week and it is looking like I will get some time in the Seminole either Friday or Saturday. I cannot wait!!!

I must admit that the combined private/instrument checkride is not, I repeat, IS NOT, to be taken lightly by anyone considering doing them together. It was a very long and intense day. Hell, my pea brain still hurts! Anyhow, take care everyone. I have to get back to studying!!

Congratulations !!!! Well done!! Enjoy the Seminole.

Take a short break from study and enjoy your accomplishments!

Congrats! That must've been an insanely difficult checkride doing both in one shot. At least you'll have a little bit of an idea of how intense your Initial CFI checkride will be.

Congrats again man. That was definitely the most intense checkride I had so far and I've now got my CSEL/CMEL. Enjoy the Seminole. If you end up with N39608, her name is Ole' Betsy and she just needs a little TLC before you take her up in the air :)

Thanks guys! It feels great to know that all of this hard work is finally showing some results. It is looking like my multi checkride will be early next week, so hopefully I will be posting another update then. :)

CU, I will be staring down the barrel of the CSEL and CMEL in about a month. After my multi, then it is off on crew cross country prep and then crew XC flights. After I get back from those, then commercials. I am considering doing both CSEL and MSEL the same day just to be done with them....well maybe. ;)

Wow. You definitely have more discipline than I do.

I cannot fathom doing the PPL and IR in one go. For me, flying would cease being fun right there.

Back