Firefighting Anyone???

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
DTI_1647426.e.jpg

One of those CL-415s recently (about 2 weeks ago) was lost when it's tail separated following a drop on a fire. France or Italy, I think.

[ QUOTE ]
One of those CL-415s recently (about 2 weeks ago) was lost when it's tail separated following a drop on a fire. France or Italy, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are using them in the BWCA to knock down some fire. It looks like a massive plane. I cannot imagine flying that plane with the constant changes in weight.
[ QUOTE ]
With their boat-like hulls touching down on the water at about 90 miles per hour, each plane needed only 10 seconds and 800 feet to force 1,400 gallons into twin tanks through retractable scoops which are only 4 by 6 inches and screened

[/ QUOTE ]

DTI_1647446.e.jpg

DTI_1645220.l.jpg

DTI_1647426.l.jpg

Impressive. Maybe they will send one to Haines, as we have two forest fires within 40 miles of here, and ones out of control.

They are cool planes. I was in Ely, Minnesota on Thursday and they were refueling those bad boys out of there. They had to replace a jug on one of them late the night before I got there, working until 2 or 3 in the morning to get it going again. I think that they had three of those planes working the fire in the Boundary Waters area, at least two of them owned by Minnesota DNR, and the third might have been a contract plane.

Mike, could those be CL215's instead of CL415's? I thought I heard one of the guys at Ely say 215, but I don't know how to tell 'em apart.

Those big old radials sound great!

[ QUOTE ]

Mike, could those be CL215's instead of CL415's? I thought I heard one of the guys at Ely say 215, but I don't know how to tell 'em apart.

Those big old radials sound great!

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the pics is. The main difference is the 215 is a radial, while the 415 is turboprop.

Both neat planes.

I love firefighting aircraft, especially during their heyday of old WWII equipment. Used to go to Mesa-Falcon Field when I was a kid; there was a company known as Globe Air that had 6 B-17s, TBM Avengers, Lockheed 1049 Connies, etc. I remember Winslow, AZ used to have an F7F Tigercat based there. Places like Pinal Airpark, AZ and Chandler-Memorial Field, still have P-2 Neptunes, old "big Doug's" like the DC-4, DC-6, and DC-7. Neat places to visit.

This past April I was cooling my heels at the Escanaba, Michigan airport and got talking to a CL215 crew that was there. They were on contract, just hanging around because the fire threat level was pretty high at the time. They were based out of Kingman, AZ.

[ QUOTE ]
This past April I was cooling my heels at the Escanaba, Michigan airport and got talking to a CL215 crew that was there. They were on contract, just hanging around because the fire threat level was pretty high at the time. They were based out of Kingman, AZ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the company at Kingman purchased, if I remember correctly, 2 CL-215s to augment the 2 C-54s (DC-4s) they already use on contract with the Forest Service.....or at least did have on contract prior to the grounding of the Large Air Tankers a couple of years ago. They also have a cool C-123 that they've flown in a couple of movies.

I saw some Hellenic AF CL-415s when I was over in Athens a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I also just saw them on TV dropping water on the the Helios crash site...

Back