Finally! (Medical Clearance Info)

teetee

I have been trying to reach someone in the medical clearance area to ask questions for the last week and a half. My husband has a PPL and they wanted some more information regarding information put on previous airmen forms (loss of consciousness from a horrible accident and some other stuff). At the PEPC he was told they mainly wanted info on the 2 other things not the loss of consciousness but then he was told in the letter they wanted loss of consciousness info. Medical records from his car accident are archived because it was 11 years ago. It is going to take 30 days to get the information, but this information needs to be into them in the next 20 days.

I have left messages regarding what to do about those medical records with no return call (surprise). Well today I called and it wasn't the receptionist that answered, it was someone in the office. I asked for the first person and was told she was out of the office, so I asked for the second contact name. The lady asked me to hold for a second and the next thing I knew I was talking to a live person, not an answering machine! I was in complete shock.

I guess the whole point of this is, don't give up. If you have the contact information and you need information, keep calling, keep trying. I have called more times than I care to count (at last 3 times a day). I have tried varying times, hoping to catch an off time and get through. The lady even told me that they were REALLY busy right now working with too many medical clearances. She asked me to remind her of our conversation on the fax cover sheet so that she would remember what was going on.

My biggest concern was medical records that were going to take 30 days to get. She told me to send in the rest of the information and they would probably be able to give medical clearance before even receiving the rest of the medical records, which would be in less than 30 days...YEAH!

I'm not on any medicines and I don't have any health issues.

Do I have to dig up old charts to give for my medical? Or is the AME/Flight Surgeon's exam there enough?

Also, once you're on the job, since you have health insurance through your work, do they somehow have a way to see what you've been to the doctor for and what medicines you've been put on?

They shouldn't be able to view medical records, even if your insurance is through the FAA because that's all confidential information. However, I would imagine that if you were to be put on some medication that is not approved, you would be required to disclose that.

Does anyone know if the medical is the same as a Class of medical that pilots get (First, Second or Third class), or is it a completely different medical?

Right, a second class medical is good for 12 calendar months.

Is there still a medical portion at the PEPC if you already hold at least a 2nd class medical?

Right, a second class medical is good for 12 calendar months.

Is there still a medical portion at the PEPC if you already hold at least a 2nd class medical?

Yes. In fact they didn't issue me a 2nd class medical. (I'm a pilot, so I would have taken a new medical if they offered)

It is a different medical. There are a lot of similar stuff though. On the airmen form my husband put, "As previously stated" and they required him to fill out all the information again because this isn't for pilot, this is for an ATC medical. They then pulled his previous airmen forms to verify he put all the correct information down.

If you capitalize your name it looks like PMS.

PM577... what does that mean anyways? :D

Well i can hardly get all you sooners straight. There's too many of you guys... it gets all mixed up :D

PM are my initials, and 577 a number for an address
(hmm, i guess PM will probably be my future controller intials:))

Back