Ferry Flights question...

Stone Cold

Good morning to everybody...

I am about to do a ferrying flight across the country and was wondering if anybody has ever done contracts for this. I know all the legal disclaimers will come out...I just want to have a rough "guesstimate" of where to start. I am going to have my lawyer look it over, but need an idea of where to start, since it's an all-expenses covered/ plane trip home/ hotel accomodations verbiage(sp?)/ you get the idea.

Thanks for all your help and always love reading the "spirited" conversations around here.

txpilot

just keep it simple.

I would suggest you have your own liability insurance aside from what ever the owner of the aircraft has.

Thanks for the quick reply...already covered on that one, though. I have my CFI insurance to cover that aspect. Just trying to find out about contracts and if anybody has an example.

txpilot

Do you really need a contract? I've never done any contract flying/ferry flights on anything more then a handshake. If you don't trust the guy to pay you how can you trust his airplane is in good shape?

This is what happened to a friend of mine. He is ended up ok, just a coupld scars on his face. The other pilot with serious injuries walked away after he came to. So I am not sure what the NTSB classifies a serious injury as.

These two were ferrying a 182 back to SoCal for a customer that usually buys nice stuff. But there was something wrong with this one. There was fuel left after the engine quit, so who knows what went wrong

NTSB

MTO was the destination of my very first Cross Country (with my instructor). Neat, quiet little ariport.

I'll give you a little background on the flight so you can see where I am coming from...

I am gainfully employed during the week, and a part-time flight instructor. I am taking vacation for this flight going from one coast to the other and want to protect the assets I have. Yes, I have CFI insurance, so I feel fairly comfortable, however I have not met the gentleman I am flying with.

The airplane is just coming out of it's annual, with a pre-buy inspection done by the co-owner of the flight school (maintenance shop/ flight school), however the new owner is coming across to meet the airplane (sight-unseen, no less). I have already flown the airplane, so I feel fairly confident in it (although I'll feel better after a few more hours in the airplane, since it's a high-performance airplane). He is almost done with his private but wants instruction going back home.

That puts me as PIC the entire way, limited to 8 hours instructing per 24 hour period, so I just want to have all my bases covered. I don't want any squabbling over anything, from buying charts, to planning, to making go/no-go decisions. He and I have already briefly discussed these things, but I would feel better with something legal to back me up.

That sounds simple enough....although I could be over-simplifying things.

With regards to buying supplies neccesary for the flight, just let him know ahead of time that it's his responsibility, and not yours. However, you're probably going to want (need) IFR charts in case you encounter such conditions. Since those charts are incidental to the flight - which you wouldn't be going on unless he asked you to - then make sure that he understands that he should pay for them.

With regards to the go/no-go decisions, talk it over with him, and let him know that it may be his airplane, but you're going to be the final authority as to whether or not the flight continues. Also, make it clear to him that if he decides to ignore your decisions, that you will simply hop on a commercial flight (compliments of him, of course) and he'll be stuck without a pilot in Las Cruces, New Mexico!!!

Back