Female Afghan Pilot

A Life Aloft

Sad business........wonder what will become of her family now. Will the AF let her join?

By ERNESTO LONDOÑODEC. 23, 2016
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/opinion/a-female-afghan-pilot-soars-and-gives-up.html?action=click&contentCollection=Asia Pacific&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article&_r=0

24sat3web-master768.jpg

Perhaps no Afghan’s story better embodied America’s aspirations for Afghanistan than that of Capt. Niloofar Rahmani, the first female fixed-wing pilot in the fledgling Afghan Air Force.

She was celebrated in Washington in 2015 when the State Department honored her with its annual Women of Courage award. “She continues to fly despite threats from the Taliban and even members of her own extended family,” the first lady, Michelle Obama, said in a statement.

On Thursday, on the eve of her scheduled return to Afghanistan from a 15-month training course at Air Force bases in Texas, Florida and Arkansas, Captain Rahmani broke a sobering piece of news to her American trainers. She still wants to be a military pilot, but not under her country’s flag. This summer, she filed a petition seeking asylum in the United States, where she hopes to eventually join the Air Force.

“Things are not changing” for the better in Afghanistan, Captain Rahmani said in an interview on Friday. “Things are getting worse and worse.”

Captain Rahmani was 10 years old when the United States toppled the Taliban government in Afghanistan in 2001. As the Bush administration set out to rebuild a country scarred by war, it made promoting women’s rights a priority, a bold undertaking in a deeply conservative nation where women had been barred from schools and the work force.

55011b8531571.image.jpg

During her teenage years, Captain Rahmani was inspired by America’s goal of emancipating Afghan women. When she was 18, with the support of her parents, she eagerly enlisted in her country’s air force. “It has been always my dream to do this job, be a pilot,” she said. “It made me really proud.”

The American government hailed her example as a bright spot in the difficult effort to build the Afghan Air Force, which has cost American taxpayers more than $3.7 billion. The endeavor has been marred by delays, logistical challenges and wasteful spending.

After photos of Captain Rahmani wearing tan combat boots, a khaki flight suit, a black head scarf and aviator glasses were published in the press when she earned her wings in 2013, she and her relatives in Kabul began receiving death threats. At work in Afghanistan, she said, she felt unsafe because most of her male colleagues held her in contempt. Still, she put on a brave face during the early months of her training in the United States, which began in September 2015.

“I would just want to encourage all of the females around the world, especially in my country where the females have no rights, to just believe in themselves and to have more self-confidence,” Captain Rahmani told an American military journalist in March 2015 during a visit to a Marine Corps air station.

2-2.jpg

But that resolve has eroded in recent months. The Afghan Air Force stopped paying her salary shortly after the American training program began, Captain Rahmani said. When female workers at an airport in southern Afghanistan were slain this month, she was horrified to hear some members of Parliament quoted as saying the women would have been safe if they had stayed at home.

This new phase of her life in the United States starts with trepidation. “It makes me really nervous,” she said of having her asylum petition pending when President-elect Donald Trump has vowed to bar Muslims from entering the United States. Still, Captain Rahmani said she sees the United States as a place where women can aspire to accomplish great things.

She doesn’t believe that to be true of her homeland. Pursuing path breaking goals in today’s Afghanistan as a woman is futile, she said. “It’s better to keep it as a dream and not let it come true.”

Capt-Niloofar-Rahmani.jpg

From 2015: http://www.shughal.com/meet-niloofar-rahmani-afghanistans-first-female-pilot-to-serve-the-air-force/

Niloofar Rahmani is the first female pilot to serve the Afghani military since 2001. The 24 years old Niloofar had been receiving death threats from terror groups and even from her own extended family members. Due to which, Captain Rahmani had to move several times with her family, but she stood firm on her decision on being a pilot. For her bravery and achievements, Nioofer has been awarded the U.S Secretary of State’s International Women of Courage Award along with other 9 inspirational women from all across the world.

When Captain Rahmani was 18 years old, she heard the announcement that Afghan Air Force is recruiting pilots. Niloofar wanted to become a pilot ever since she was a little girl. In order to be able to join the flight school, she studied English for one whole year. In 2010, she was enlisted in the Afghan Air Force Officer Training Program. Niloofar graduated as a Second Lieutenant in July 2012. After flying her first solo flight in a Cessna 182, she realized that she wanted to fly even larger aircraft. She joined an advanced flight school and soon she was flying the C-208 military cargo aircraft.

In Afghanistan, women are not allowed to transport injured soldiers. Niloofar refused to obey the orders when she came across wounded soldiers during one of her missions. She took the soldiers to the hospital straight away. When her superiors heard that she had defied the orders, they decided not to impose a penalty on her.

Niloofars’ story was published on the website of the US Air Forces Central Command where she said, ‘Now my goal is to help my country have a bright future and stand up for females. I helped break down the doors for them after me.’

2786B72300000578-0-image-a-105_1428932493811.jpg

Last edited:
.... a bold undertaking in a deeply conservative nation where women had been barred from schools and the work force.

At work in Afghanistan, she said, she felt unsafe because most of her male colleagues held her in contempt. Still, she put on a brave face during the early months of her training in the United States, which began in September 2015.

When female workers at an airport in southern Afghanistan were slain this month, she was horrified to hear some members of Parliament quoted as saying the women would have been safe if they had stayed at home.

Yet these are the chit-bag countries with their ass backwards religious way of thinking, that we keep supporting and propping up. These places with horrific women's rights records. And not just chit-holes like Afghan, but modern middle east nations like the Gulf states. They're the same.

We can't sit and say we support women's rights, when we support, defend, and take money from, and pay money to, places like Saudi Arabia and other such wastelands where women are definitely 3rd class citizens, if even.

This new phase of her life in the United States starts with trepidation. “It makes me really nervous,” she said of having her asylum petition pending when President-elect Donald Trump has vowed to bar Muslims from entering the United States.

His stated position is to vett them, not bar them. Meaning check out who is attempting to come here, rather than leave a gate wide open and unchecked. Not a difficult concept. Someone like this, should be an easy shoe-in.

She doesn’t believe that to be true of her homeland. Pursuing path breaking goals in today’s Afghanistan as a woman is futile, she said. “It’s better to keep it as a dream and not let it come true.”

So what have we accomplished in 16 years there now?

That place is not going to become a little 51st state of the union. And the longer our idiot politicians here in the USA figure that out, the better off we will be. It's a chit hole, always has been, always will be.

Our mission in 2001 was simple: attack and destroy the Taliban and Al Queda; capture/kill Osama Bin Laden. We screwed that up when we morphed into nation building BS, and got ourselves bogged down there with that. And we never really accomplished the first goal.

Last edited:
Of course she waits til completion of the entire program, then refuses to take her scheduled flight back, and files an asylum petition. Refusing to do a job that we taxpayers paid for, what she signed up for, and essentially what amounts to desertion and dereliction of duty. She's a hero and a deserter, depending on which way you want to look at it. That was US taxpayer money used to train her that was spent and essentially wasted. And since she waited until all training was complete, well played on her end. Still, she's a first, and should be a role model by going back and fighting or becoming a "shaheed" in the process. In that part of the world, being a shaheed is the highest honor and sacrifice.

If you want to know who really should get their asylum applications approved, it would be those Afghani translators who served with and helped US soldiers (some directly saving lives by giving critical intel, translation of where mines where, enemy location, etc), men who put their wives and kids in danger by helping US soldiers, and were still threatened after their translation job was done. They paid their dues and risked their life doing so for US soldiers. Those are true heroes. Not someone who takes taxpayer money to learn to fly military jets and then refuse to serve because they feel threatened. It's war, and that's what you signed up for.

Of course she waits til completion of the entire program, then refuses to take her scheduled flight back, and files an asylum petition. Refusing to do a job that we taxpayers paid for, what she signed up for, and essentially what amounts to desertion and dereliction of duty. She's a hero and a deserter, depending on which way you want to look at it. That was US taxpayer money used to train her that was spent and essentially wasted. And since she waited until all training was complete, well played on her end. Still, she's a first, and should be a role model by going back and fighting or becoming a "shaheed" in the process. In that part of the world, being a shaheed is the highest honor and sacrifice.

If you want to know who really should get their asylum applications approved, it would be those Afghani translators who served with and helped US soldiers (some directly saving lives by giving critical intel, translation of where mines where, enemy location, etc), men who put their wives and kids in danger by helping US soldiers, and were still threatened after their translation job was done. They paid their dues and risked their life doing so for US soldiers. Those are true heroes. Not someone who takes taxpayer money to learn to fly military jets and then refuse to serve because they feel threatened. It's war, and that's what you signed up for.

Of all the wasting of money that happens this is the rant you choose? And where did it say she refused to hop on a flight?

I'd venture to say this is money well spent if she can inspire other Middle Eastern women to not sit back and allow a backwards culture to persist. Might help us all out down the road.

edit: I agree it would be great if she could go home and be a symbol, but can she do it safely? Who knows, but I don't think this is a waste of money by any means in the grand scheme of things and yes, help the translators too.

Of all the wasting of money that happens this is the rant you choose? And where did it say she refused to hop on a flight?

" She traveled to the United States last summer for C-130 transport plane training with the US Air Force in Arkansas which finished on Thursday - and was supposed to return Saturday, yet did not, the Journal reported. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4064516/I-m-scared-life-Afghan-female-pilot-country-s-military-fall-Taliban-defied-death-threats-skies-seeks-asylum-US.html

Saw her exclusive interview on CNN sitting with her attorney. The whole thing reeked of a ploy.

I'd venture to say this is money well spent if she can inspire other Middle Eastern women to not sit back and allow a backwards culture to persist. Might help us all out down the road.

The proper message would be to go and fight for this job she signed up for. Not milk another 1st world country's resources, time, and money, and then seek asylum.

"
The proper message would be to go and fight for this job she signed up for.

This.

I take no joy in sending anyone into harm's way. She volunteered for this however. The best place for her to be a role model would be back in her own country not here. Hopefully that doesn't end in martyrdom.

Saw her exclusive interview on CNN sitting with her attorney. The whole thing reeked of a ploy.

Fair enough, but you know what? The way women are often treated over there if this is her chance to take a different path then so be it. I'm not going to get all butt hurt over it, perhaps by staying safe here she can travel back and do some good work. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

This.

I take no joy in sending anyone into harm's way. She volunteered for this however. The best place for her to be a role model would be back in her own country not here. Hopefully that doesn't end in martyrdom.

But in that part of the world, martyrdom aka 'shaheed' is the highest honor and recognition a soldier can get. It's a backward ass place, but then again, it has been for years and always will be.

Now if this was Israel or some other place that requires mandatory military service at age 18, then I would at least sympathize with her because she doesn't really have a choice. But this was voluntary. Seeing how smug the lawyer looked and how innocent Nilofar tried to look on the CNN interview, IMO it was a little over the top.

Fair enough, but you know what? The way women are often treated over there if this is her chance to take a different path then so be it. I'm not going to get all butt hurt over it, perhaps by staying safe here she can travel back and do some good work. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

But the difference is she did it at taxpayer expense. And from the mentality of type of which I think I see in the CNN interview, she'll never set foot in Afghanistan again if this is approved. Next step after taking care of herself is to immigrate the parents and siblings. As a immigrant (legal way, no taxpayers screwed, doctor father) from a neighboring country to Afghanistan, I can tell you that is the mentality of a LOT of people coming out of there.

Last edited:
Interestingly, a large legacy airline here hired a Pakistani pilot has on her linkedin page a very vivid and emotional tale. Only problem is without proof, it's hard to say. And browsing PAF forums online, a couple of her points were refuted and several wrote about how she couldn't pass a training regiment as a reason of washing out (and not as opposed to reason being she's a woman). Her claims of being denied a PAF pilot slot for being a woman sound questionable - there are already female pilots in the PAF, including even fighter jets (hardest one to get into). But she came here, according to the linkedin page 6 yrs ago, hit flight safety academy, joined WIA, did 2.5 yrs at XJT as a FO, got the free legacy company type rating, and went to that legacy airline. At least here, no taxpayer had to pay for this.

But in that part of the world, martyrdom aka 'shaheed' is the highest honor and recognition a soldier can get. It's a backward ass place, but then again, it has been for years and always will be.

Now if this was Israel or some other place that requires mandatory military service at age 18, then I would at least sympathize with her because she doesn't really have a choice. But this was voluntary. Seeing how smug the lawyer looked and how innocent Nilofar tried to look on the CNN interview, IMO it was a little over the top.

But the difference is she did it at taxpayer expense. And from the mentality of type of which I think I see in the CNN interview, she'll never set foot in Afghanistan again if this is approved. Next step after taking care of herself is to immigrate the parents and siblings. As a immigrant (legal way, no taxpayers screwed, doctor father) from a neighboring country to Afghanistan, I can tell you that is the mentality of a LOT of people coming out of there.

This.

She volunteered to go fight and die for her country...which is not the same as getting intentionally killed by somebody who is "on her side."

She volunteered to go fight and die for her country...which is not the same as getting intentionally killed by somebody who is "on her side."

The reality is in that country for women, there really isn't anyone "on her side." Let alone her military service, pilot background, just let her be an ordinary citizen but without that hijab in about 95% of places in Afghanistan would mean a guaranteed beating or worse, death. If she goes back, I doubt she'd be killed by fellow military pilots.

We've spent $3.7B trying to rebuild their "air force"? That's nauseating.

Oh you'll love this. Total Fraud/Waste/Abuse.

Prior to getting the 4 C-130H models they have now, the USAF attempted to modernize the Afghan AF transport fleet in another way. To replace the aging fleet of Soviet-era An-26s and An-32s, the USAF spent ~$468 million to purchase 20 Italian C-27A aircraft from Alenia in Italy in 2010. These machines were trade-ins from the Italian AF when they upgraded to C-27Js. A good and robust transport aircraft, great for the conditions of temp/altitude as well as austere fields found in Afghanistan. The planes were purchased, as were an initial batch of spare parts. As well as translated maintenance manuals, ground support, and contract logistics and maintenance training for Afghan AF crews and flight training for pilots. Two years later, the planes were all grounded at Kabul airport, due to inadequate maintenance as the contractor began to transition to all-Afghan AF Mx, and the planes one by one ended up grounded. By 2013, the USAF cancelled the contract, and sold the planes to an Afghan construction company to be scrapped for ~6 cents on the dollar.......about $32,000 in total.

$468 million invested, for a $32,000 return.

What's even more funny/ironic, is that the USAF didn't need to buy these planes from Italy, as there were USAF-owned C-27As sitting in the boneyard here in Tucson, that had been retired since 1993 from their last (and only) squadron they ever served in: the 310th Tactical Airlift Squadron at Howard AFB, Panama. That squadron closed down when we closed the Howard base, and their C-27As went into storage at Tucson. So we alreafy had the planes.

Now, we've given the Afghans 4 C-130s. Hopefully those hold together.......

I don't blame this girl one bit for requesting asylum.

Pretty sure if any Americans spent much time in Afghanistan, they wouldn't either.

I don't blame any woman for doing anything they have to do to escape Afghanistan. If I was in their position I certainly can't say I wouldn't do anything to get out. Do I wish I didn't have to pay for it as a taxpayer? Preferably. But at least we paid for her to have a skill that could make her a productive member of our society.

Back