FBO's in Northern Virginia?

VATechPilot

I live in Manassas and was wondering if anyone has experienced any good FBO's near here. I've been thinking of going to Dulles Aviation at KHEF. I went up today there and they seemed o.k., but nothing all that impressive. Does anyone have experience with them?

I got my private with Dulles Aviation. Very good school, really enjoyed it there. Its 141, they train a lot of Marines also with the IFS. Any questions feel free to ask

I live in Manassas and was wondering if anyone has experienced any good FBO's near here. I've been thinking of going to Dulles Aviation at KHEF. I went up today there and they seemed o.k., but nothing all that impressive. Does anyone have experience with them?

What are you going for? To teach, or to learn?

If you want to get a license, go to Aviation Adventures. They have a much bigger variety of planes, and new equipment. Everything from WAAS G1000 to a podunk 152 for cheap. Www.AviationAdventures.com

If you want to teach, go to either Dulles or Manassas aviation. I worked at Manassas Aviation and while its a mess, it was good. I taught IFS students mostly, so the work was always there. I heard some bad stories about Dulles Aviation, such as not keeping your own students, whereas at Manassas Aviation once you have your Marines, they stay with you. Which is better. Plus no one has ever said anything good about the chief pilot of Dulles Aviation, but thats all hearsay.

I would choose Dulles Aviation!

For a license or to teach?

After being around the Manassas Schools for a few years, I would NEVER go to Manassas Aviation or Dulles Aviation for a license. Both are part 141, and since the Marines don't put out a contract for bid to teach the IFS students, every 141 school in the area gets Marines.

These 2 schools are SPOILED by this program. They get about $5k for each marine, and they get roughly 8 marines every month, sometimes twice a month. This is a cash machine for them and has basically made their civilian students take the hit. The planes are taken up by Marines all the time, and the CFIs dont want to work with anyone else except Marines since you can make up your own schedule, they are commited to the program, and you dont have to worry about the student running out of money. I was spoiled and I began to hate teaching civilian students.

Aviation Adventures on the other hand is a part 61 school so they are not spoiled by the IFS program. Im still on the aviation adventures email list and I swear every week I sent an email about how they have a new private pilot, a new instrument rated pilot, a new commercial pilot, a new comm-multi pilot. Hell even ATP rated pilot. You know how many times I saw someone pass a checkride in the year I was around at Manassas Aviation? 2. Not because of bad instruction, but because civilian students are just not treated well.

If you want to get a license, go to Aviation Adventures. If you want to instruct, go to Dulles or Manassas, youll be spoiled, but hey, you have to look out for yourself.

Back