Far-Aim 2015 out

I heard there is a mid year update. I am used to checking online for PTS updates for eg.

Wondered if a DPE would even notice if a student went for an exam tomorrow with am 'old' one.

I also keep the charts and A/FD updated, not sure where 56 days comes from but hey ho.

I heard there is a mid year update. I am used to checking online for PTS updates for eg.

Wondered if a DPE would even notice if a student went for an exam tomorrow with am 'old' one.
I'm assuming "old" means "current year on the cover but material out-of-date."

Depends. But not too likely. Pretty good chance it hasn't happened, at least not much.

I can see a DPE making in inquiry if there were a recent change in a relevant reg (and the DPE knew about it, which is not necessarily a given). And I would hope the result would be nothing more than a lesson for the applicant on how commercially printed republications can be out of date in terms of the currency of the material they contain.

Just a related FYI - This was being discussed on another forum and someone reported that the ASA AIM for iOS is a one-time payment and is kept up to date without additional charge. The app update history suggests that might be the case, there is nothing about the app being a "2014" or "2015" or dated in another way, there is nothing in the description about in-app purchases, and ASA says "Free Updates provided."

So sounds like it might be true. I don't know but figured it was worth the price for give it a try.

Just a related FYI - This was being discussed on another forum and someone reported that the ASA AIM for iOS is a one-time payment and is kept up to date without additional charge. The app update history suggests that might be the case, there is nothing about the app being a "2014" or "2015" or dated in another way, there is nothing in the description about in-app purchases, and ASA says "Free Updates provided."

So sounds like it might be true. I don't know but figured it was worth the price for give it a try.

This ^ I have the same app and it was updated.

The regs aren't updated on a set cycle like the FAR/AIM book printings are*. There's no such thing as a 'current year' printing.

The big FAR/AIM books are excellent to have on-hand for discussion, but as a CFI you should stay abreast of the changes to the regulations, which may happen at any time in the cycle, and ensure that your student is aware of the applicable ones. ecfr.gov is, as far as I am aware, the closest to an 'official' answer.

Keep the paper for instant access/review, know the delta, apply the patch, and make sure your student is aware of exactly the regs in question at all times.

~Fox

That's not correct. Title 14 is updated January 1 each year.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collectionCfr.action?collectionCode=CFR

Forgive me—I spoke imprecisely.

My understanding is that the link you provide is for the printed version of the CFR, wherein the amendments are taken up into final form. It's a technical distinction—the rules that apply are, as I alluded to, unaffected by the printing cycle of the CFR, and new rules may come into effect at any time as part of the rulemaking process—which was the thrust of my prior post.

Do you concur with that restatement?

-Fox

Forgive me—I spoke imprecisely.

My understanding is that the link you provide is for the printed version of the CFR, wherein the amendments are taken up into final form. It's a technical distinction—the rules that apply are, as I alluded to, unaffected by the printing cycle of the CFR, and new rules may come into effect at any time as part of the rulemaking process—which was the thrust of my prior post.

Do you concur with that restatement?

-Fox
You are correct.

Back