Far/aim 2009?

jhugz

Guppy gear swinger
Okie Dokie...I have my 2008 tabbed and highlighted for the ride

This may be a stupid question but do I need the 2009 FAR/AIM

what ride?

The AIM has a change page in the front

<---hasn't owned a FAR/AIM hard copy since he found faa.gov (and FAA order 8900, the companion guide for FARs for us - even if you fly 91, you will find it useful. )

Okie Dokie...I have my 2008 tabbed and highlighted for the ride
This may be a stupid question but do I need the 2009 FAR/AIM

If you want to feel uber-prepared then a 2009 can't hurt. But, you do not need it for a 2008 checkride. Go ahead and use your current FAR/AIM. Just study up on the fact that the 2009's became available on 7/1/2008.

Someone please correct this if I've got it wrong.

If you want to feel uber-prepared then a 2009 can't hurt. But, you do not need it for a 2008 checkride. Go ahead and use your current FAR/AIM. Just study up on the fact that the 2009's became available on 7/1/2008.

Someone please correct this if I've got it wrong.

Thats what I thought...someone told me that the 09 FAR/AIM doesn't even have the medical changes printed in it.

And the ride is the intial cfi ride.

Thats what I thought...someone told me that the 09 FAR/AIM doesn't even have the medical changes printed in it.
And the ride is the intial cfi ride.

Correct. It doesn't list the new medical changes.

Best of luck on the CFI. I just did mine, and being overly prepared for the oral was worth its weight in gold. Be sure you focus on all of the required tasks, and of course the special emphasis areas. Do your lesson plans on every task, and do them like you are doing research papers (not just one-page outlines) when it comes to the technical subject areas.

Study all of the maneuvers in the AFH and be familiar with the common errors (include them in your lesson plans) for the maneuvers.

Wishing you good luck!

Just keep in mind that the regs can change way more frequently than the book is printed, and know how to stay up-to-date on those changes.

Just keep in mind that the regs can change way more frequently than the book is printed, and know how to stay up-to-date on those changes.
That's an important point.

The =real= FAR changes whenever the FAA publishes a new final regulation.
The =real= AIM changes about twice a year, but sometimes a new change is published by NOTAM.
The "FAR/AIM" or "AIM/FAR" you buy in the pilot shop is a book publisher's reprint of the real FAR and the real AIM as they existed at a certain time. There's no guarantee that it not out of date before it ever hits the stands.

You can find the "real" AIM here: http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/

You can find the =real= FAR here (up to a certain date): http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl

btw, if your ride is instrument or ATP, there are some changes regarding IFR use of GPS and holding (the former being a topic of some interesting discussions and the latter =finally= making it clear that ATC can have you go straight in despite a technically required PT)

Changes to the FAR (and all other federal regulations) first appear here (but searching can be a little more difficult): http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/index.html

I got flak on my CFI because I did not have the latest PTS that was not even published yet. However, the revisions were sent out to the FSDO's and were available online. It all depends on who the examiner is, mine just happened to be a prick. Better to be over prepared than under.

Back