Familiar N#s in the NTSB reports

USMCmech

While I was looking in the NTSB database for a report on a accident that claimed a fellow CFI, I noticed several reports from around the SAT area with familiar N#s. I flew most of them at the first school I taught at. Spiral taught there too after I left.

Lets just say, I wasn't supprised to see that several of them were maintence related.

Pretty eye opening, huh? Whenever I go to rent an airplane I've never flown before, I always throw the N# into the search box on the NTSB website and see what pops up.

Oh snap! Which ones, USMC? Maybe I can guess though....! 2225T.... 49108!

To be fair though, the pilots of 49108 were students from a different (and more respected) flight school and were just renting the aircraft to build time. I always taught my students to excercise extreme caution when taxiing behind 737s, especially SWA 737s when they're holding short of a runway because they gun it to get on. ;)

Was N9144H one of their new(er) 172s. I think it was, but I'm not sure.

Aparently 4789P was busted on landing the next day.

I really didn't feel N2225T was ever airworthy, and I know that much ot the MX on that plane was not documented.

I actually liked flying 49108.

So out of curiosity, if you felt that there were issues with the maintenance of the airplanes, why didn't you report it?

Was N9144H one of their new(er) 172s. I think it was, but I'm not sure.

Aparently 4789P was busted on landing the next day.

I really didn't feel N2225T was ever airworthy, and I know that much ot the MX on that plane was not documented.

I actually liked flying 49108.
No, never had 9144H, 98873 and some other 172 which I can't remember the number too but didn't end in H. N9144H is from the other school mentioned in my post whose students destroyed 49108.

Most of these reports are from that other school actually. N1281U is there. Also, I don't think N4789P was ever involved in an incident... yet. Well, at least not in the last 5-8 years anyway

So out of curiosity, if you felt that there were issues with the maintenance of the airplanes, why didn't you report it?

Because the last (and only) time I reported something to the FAA in good faith, they used it to hang me. I wouldn't wish that experiance on my worst enemy.

I left the school due to the extreamly poor maintence I saw there. This resulted in serious economic hardship for myself and my family. If the Feds don't want to do their job and properly regulate 141 schools, that's their problem. This school's reputation was/is well known in the SA area.

Spiral, apparently somebody banged up 89P out at Castrovile.

Back