Fact vs fiction: finishing times @ freight until ATP

Jets410

Hi All-
Another mid-life career changer here, looking for facts from people there vs. fiction & propaganda, on the available avenues to finish off about 600 hours to meet ATP. (I'm completely comfortable and understand the the ramifications of changing jobs, air industry ups & downs, etc., and I've got a solid wife & kids on-board too.)

1. When the freight operators (AMF, etc.) say words to the effect of "You can expect 18/12", I'm aware that means 18 on and 12 off. But does it really work that way? Even with a commute from CLT area to anywhere, that theoretically still leaves me with 10 days off in a row, where I'm back home, right? Is that a reality, or is it more like 5/2 or 10/3 where there's no time to get home for a few days once a month? How does it really work?

2. How much flying per day is at the freight feeders? It seems like some are 2-3 hours a day spread over a morning run and an evening run. The basic math says that works out to roughly 840 hrs in 12 months (yes, I used some assumptions, like 70 hrs a month). Fact or fiction?

3. When job hunting/intrviewing with freights, is it culturally ok to be up front and tell them I'm looking to bust my tail getting ready, then safely build a bunch of time and experience in a year at wherever thay want me to go, then head to the regionals, or does one not mention that?

4. Over a decade ago, I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time, and got 200 hours SIC in Lear 25s & 35s for a 135 company over 18 months. However, the only place that's recorded is in my logbook, as I'm not sure what, if any, records were maintained by the company (I suppose I should call them..) The rest of my other 600 hours are usual training for ratings, and a decade of fun-flying in 172s & Arrows. Any detriments, or advantages, there?

5. And here's the biggie: What seems to be the kinf of time most attractive to the regionals? I do not have CFII but love to teach (have an MS in education), but there are no large schools anywhere near me. Freight appears attractive unless my "research" is wrong: Commute a lot to places I've never been, live there for a few weeks, fly a bunch of SPIFR, go home for 10 days, repeat for a year.

I appreciate any information on facts vs fiction of what's ahead, between now and the regionals.
Thanks.

18/12 would be more like an Atlas or Kalitta flying heavy jets. Amflight is going to be more like Monday night thru Sat morning. A few runs might on be thru Friday morning. So, you'd be looking at 5/4 flights a week with 2 to 3 hours. Some guys will bid runs for min work and others for max time. I would guess you might not have choice at first but hopefully move into a run that works for you with a little time. Commuting with 135 freight would be difficult so best to go with a company that has runs near where you want to be.

All that said, few 135's have a place for a right seater and you need 1200 total for 135 single pilot. Amflight used to have a time building program but it wasn't a paid position. Also, the EMB120 does need an F/O but there aren't many of those. With your quals I'd point you more towards scenic tours or aerial survey to quickly build time and then rest on your Lear time and recency of experience to get on at a regional. I wouldn't worry about time in a log book vs company records. Logbook time is fine as long as a background check shows you worked at the 135.

Fun flying is fine on a resume as total time but more serious time "working" is better when you are trying to find a job. It's more verifiable and shows you are working within the ATC system and bring a work ethic to the table. As a career changer don't discount work ethic and job achievements even though they are non-aviation.

3. When job hunting/intrviewing with freights, is it culturally ok to be up front and tell them I'm looking to bust my tail getting ready, then safely build a bunch of time and experience in a year at wherever thay want me to go, then head to the regionals, or does one not mention that?

Not sure if I would say one year specifically, but building experience for future jobs is the norm in the industry, so I wouldn't feel to bad about it. If they ask what you want to do in five years (typical question) and you say be flying at a regional, or anything else for that matter, it shouldn't be a problem.

840 hours in a year sounds feasible, there is a lot of variation. It seems a bit on the high side to me, but I'm sure there are places where it's possible.

If you have a MS in anything you are probably smart enough for any of these flying jobs. As long as you can present yourself as teachable, too, there should be plenty of good opportunities.

Last thought: Is three weeks off and then 10 days with the family something you are comfortable with? That seems like a long stretch of being away to me.

Not sure if @Apophis is based or floater, but might be able to shed some light on those questions.

As an outside observer, building time to to hold an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate, requiring that 1,500 hours total time as a pilot is mostly a singular process in a aviators life.

18/12 would be more like an Atlas or Kalitta flying heavy jets. Amflight is going to be more like Monday night thru Sat morning. A few runs might on be thru Friday morning. So, you'd be looking at 5/4 flights a week with 2 to 3 hours. Some guys will bid runs for min work and others for max time. I would guess you might not have choice at first but hopefully move into a run that works for you with a little time. Commuting with 135 freight would be difficult so best to go with a company that has runs near where you want to be.

All that said, few 135's have a place for a right seater and you need 1200 total for 135 single pilot. Amflight used to have a time building program but it wasn't a paid position. Also, the EMB120 does need an F/O but there aren't many of those. With your quals I'd point you more towards scenic tours or aerial survey to quickly build time and then rest on your Lear time and recency of experience to get on at a regional. I wouldn't worry about time in a log book vs company records. Logbook time is fine as long as a background check shows you worked at the 135.

Fun flying is fine on a resume as total time but more serious time "working" is better when you are trying to find a job. It's more verifiable and shows you are working within the ATC system and bring a work ethic to the table. As a career changer don't discount work ethic and job achievements even though they are non-aviation.
AMF actually does have a paid 99 F/O program now. They introduced it a few months after I left IIRC. The Korean FO program is pretty much a thing of the past now.

Friend of mine worked for Martin Air, in 6 months he got lots if hard IFR to mins, 300 hrs in a C208, and says QOL was poor. I too am in your shoes, I may just buy an old arrow or Comanche and do laps around the U.S.
Tough career choice to make the $200k + / year quickly.

Back