Facility Tours

HotoneJ

Does anyone know the procedure you are supposed to follow to get a tour of a facility, if so please share.

Yeah, just call the facility and ask to talk to someone about organizing a tour. Depending on the facility and staffing, they may limit how many people can come in and how long they can stay. Good luck

DC

Yeah, just call the facility and ask to talk to someone about organizing a tour. Depending on the facility and staffing, they may limit how many people can come in and how long they can stay. Good luck

DC
I appreciate that.

ALWAYS ask for the ATM. they are the only ones that can approve it. the huge facilities may anoint the OM with this task. either way, you can't go wrong with the ATM.

ATM = Air Traffic Manager (manager, boss)
OM = Operations Manager (in charge of the control floor for that shift)

at least 24 hours in advance

did you have a specific facility in mind?? also when you call up, its good to let them know that you are interested in becoming a controller. some places dont really take the time to give you a tour if youre just a pilot.

For the bigger ones... it helps to be prompt and follow any instructions they give you. I visited the Seattle Center a few weeks ago and forgot to mention that I'd be bringing my wife. The security guys complained about it some, but the manager came out and didn't have any problem with it. It'll just make things go a little faster...

My first visit was to a contract tower owned by Robinson. I literally just went up and rang the doorbell. Quaint.

For the bigger ones... it helps to be prompt and follow any instructions they give you. I visited the Seattle Center a few weeks ago and forgot to mention that I'd be bringing my wife. The security guys complained about it some, but the manager came out and didn't have any problem with it. It'll just make things go a little faster...

My first visit was to a contract tower owned by Robinson. I literally just went up and rang the doorbell. Quaint.
Which tower?

I would like to visit the one in Jacksonville, FL just because it's the closest major facility. There is a tower at the VDL that I can visit but they only handle 3 flights a day, so do y'all think it's worth the trip to Jacksonville or not?

Woo 3 flights a day?! :drool: If those controllers make HALF what I'm gonna make while doing a hundred times the amount of work, I'm gonna be PISSED!!

I would like to visit the one in Jacksonville, FL just because it's the closest major facility. There is a tower at the VDL that I can visit but they only handle 3 flights a day, so do y'all think it's worth the trip to Jacksonville or not?

why the heck do they have a tower for only 3 flights a day??? Our airport just reopened and they are handling FIVE flights a day! Without a tower! Dangerous!!

why the heck do they have a tower for only 3 flights a day??? Our airport just reopened and they are handling FIVE flights a day! Without a tower! Dangerous!!
lol I guess it was a misunderstanding, but they actually handle about 200 a day but only 3 of those is commercial because Delta only flies between Valdosta and ATL, and a few times a year they cut it back to 2 flights.

lol I guess it was a misunderstanding, but they actually handle about 200 a day but only 3 of those is commercial because Delta only flies between Valdosta and ATL, and a few times a year they cut it back to 2 flights.

LOL! okay! that makes more sense haha

Back