FAA Worker Took Plane, Yacht and Trucks

tonyw

http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/us/2008/11/20/D94J2RU80_illegal_perks/index.html

A Federal Aviation Administration employee from Southern California took illegal perks from his job -- including a plane, yachts and heavy-duty trucks -- and an investigation continues into how widespread the practice was, federal prosecutors said Thursday.

Steven Bradley Smith, a field technician with the FAA in San Diego, abused an internal computer system to claim surplus items from other government agencies, according to charging papers unsealed Thursday in federal court in Tacoma, Wash.

How did this guy get away with this? It's not like UPS just shows up and says, here's your Cessna 210.

Acquiring a few computers? OK, I can totally see that happening (not saying its right, but it doesn't surprise me one bit). But seriously, how do you just claim a 44' boat from the Coast Guard or a C210 from the Forestry and bill it to "some other department?" I know the government has holes, but we're not talking about $500 items that get lost on paper here.

Acquiring a few computers? OK, I can totally see that happening (not saying its right, but it doesn't surprise me one bit). But seriously, how do you just claim a 44' boat from the Coast Guard or a C210 from the Forestry and bill it to "some other department?" I know the government has holes, but we're not talking about $500 items that get lost on paper here.

You'd be surprised. . .on second thought, you probably wouldn't. It's easier than you think. The fact is many federal employees are honorable, upright citizens. Some deviants are out there.

Where I first worked as a CFI the FAA would come fly our twin for currency. I remember flying it once directly after them - the alternators were left on, the controls were not secured, the seatbelts were flopping all over the place. Clearly the shutdown and after shutdown checklists had been completely ignored. They needed some remedial training, for sure!

Money...

Does it concern anyone else that the govt is talking in billions? Does anyone really know how large a billion is yet they talk about billions here, billions there. A half million here, another 2 million there, who would miss it? Do you balance your accounts to the penny, why would you expect the govt to balance to the million? Our govt has become a cash cow--so much money floating around who cares about the small stuff?

This reminds me of that scam in the movie, Office Space.

Back