FAA passes another records act

The FAA is handling the problem (“professional” pilots who can’t fly) with a typical FAA response. I really think the problem is at the primary training level. Right now you can more or less throw enough money at a flight school and come away with a commercial/multi. Same with ATP even after the CTP rule. The reason the military can turn out amazing low time pilots is both quality of training and wash-out. Not everyone who starts comes away with wings. It should be like that at the civilian level too. But it’d take a huge overhaul of the training and checking process to make it happen.

The FAA is handling the problem (“professional” pilots who can’t fly) with a typical FAA response. I really think the problem is at the primary training level. Right now you can more or less throw enough money at a flight school and come away with a commercial/multi. Same with ATP even after the CTP rule. The reason the military can turn out amazing low time pilots is both quality of training and wash-out. Not everyone who starts comes away with wings. It should be like that at the civilian level too. But it’d take a huge overhaul of the training and checking process to make it happen.

I think the interview process at airlines has a lot to do with it too. Does anyone have a sim evaluation anymore? I think a more robust records sharing program is a good idea, but I’m not sure it would have made a difference in 3591. Atlas had a hiring/attrition problem a few years back (and it looks like we’re rapidly heading back that way). They just wanted butts in seats and were willing to give people more tries than they should have to make it through training, no matter how many red flags they were shown.

I think the interview process at airlines has a lot to do with it too. Does anyone have a sim evaluation anymore? I think a more robust records sharing program is a good idea, but I’m not sure it would have made a difference in 3591. Atlas had a hiring/attrition problem a few years back (and it looks like we’re rapidly heading back that way). They just wanted butts in seats and were willing to give people more tries than they should have to make it through training, no matter how many red flags they were shown.
Which is why the industry shouldn’t be allowed to be responsible for the quality of primary pilot training. I find it entertaining how you can be completely unqualified to work for a major airline and yet spend a career hauling their passengers at a regional but I digress. Bottom line is not everyone is cut out to fly and our training system doesn’t reflect that reality.

Here’s an awkward scenario and it’ll get muddy real fast with this style of a record system. Say an airman is looking to move on from their current position, so they have their apps out. A couple of interviews, some TBNT letters, but one interview turns into a job offer (to reduce pronouns and ease confusion, let’s say it is for Bluestar Airlines) but the offer from Bluestar Airlines comes with short notice to be in class. Of course the airman takes the job, gives short or no notice to the current employer. As part of the hiring process, Bluestar Airlines gets the records request for their new employee that has a negative review for giving short/ no notice - a problem that Bluestar Airlines created by telling the candidate to be in class next week.

This scenario happens all the time, but how will it be handled with the proposed enhanced record keeping process?

but one interview turns into a job offer (to reduce pronouns and ease confusion, let’s say it is for Bluestar Airlines) but the offer from Bluestar Airlines comes with short notice to be in class. Of course the airman takes the job, gives short or no notice to the current employer. As part of the hiring process, Bluestar Airlines gets the records request for their new employee that has a negative review for giving short/ no notice - a problem that Bluestar Airlines created by telling the candidate to be in class next week.

This scenario happens all the time, but how will it be handled with the proposed enhanced record keeping process?

The candidate failed the personal/professional integrity test given by Bluestar.

Here’s an awkward scenario and it’ll get muddy real fast with this style of a record system. Say an airman is looking to move on from their current position, so they have their apps out. A couple of interviews, some TBNT letters, but one interview turns into a job offer (to reduce pronouns and ease confusion, let’s say it is for Bluestar Airlines) but the offer from Bluestar Airlines comes with short notice to be in class. Of course the airman takes the job, gives short or no notice to the current employer. As part of the hiring process, Bluestar Airlines gets the records request for their new employee that has a negative review for giving short/ no notice - a problem that Bluestar Airlines created by telling the candidate to be in class next week.

That happened to an acquaintance of mine under the current PRIA system. Ended up not being a big deal, but it did cause them quite a bit of stress for a little bit.

Does anyone have a sim evaluation anymore?
Surely, you jest.

I’m reasonably sure nobody does, nowadays. Back when I interviewed with the Mormons, it was waived only if you were current 121. Dubious, for yanking an RJ jock into a Brasilia, to be honest, but whatever. They’ve long-since deleted that portion of the evaluation for reasons. Thing is, since the core function of the job is still flying the airplane, it’s a REAL easy discriminator.

Back when I interviewed at your old employer, in the before-time, in the long-long ago, I think about a solid third of the group failed the simulator portion. Some of that was probably the equipment - an old, touchy 737-200 FTD instead of the more customary Frasca. They put the profile up on the board and told you what to do when, and so on. Same deal at Eagle, except they used a Frasca. I don’t know what the rate was when I interviewed at Eagle, but I do recall a good amount of people came back into the room looking glum after the sim, and then started the long, lonely, sad trek from Centreport to DFW.

They just wanted butts in seats and were willing to give people more tries than they should have to make it through training, no matter how many red flags they were shown.
Old-job would give you hundred-plus hours of OE, among other things; the real issue, I think, was sim LCAs passing their garbage onto aircraft LCAs.

Which is why the industry shouldn’t be allowed to be responsible for the quality of primary pilot training. I find it entertaining how you can be completely unqualified to work for a major airline and yet spend a career hauling their passengers at a regional but I digress. Bottom line is not everyone is cut out to fly and our training system doesn’t reflect that reality.

Everyone, including the feds, knows who the shady operators are and they do nothing about it.

Back