FAA Jobs?

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
What sorts of interesting gigs are there with the FAA, and does anyone here do any of them?

I know there are safety inspectors and stuff, and USA-Jobs lists a LOT of jobs for engineers. But I'm curious about other jobs, both flying and non-flying. Do they employ analysts? Policy people? Legislative affairs folks? Stuff like that.

If you work for the FAA and don't wish to post here, you can PM me. I was just thinking lately about a second career and given that I live in DC, it seems like there might be interesting possibilities.

I'm certainly no expert, but I do know that D.C. and OKC are two very big FAA locations and would be very likely places to find a job.

Many technical government jobs go to contractors. As an example, most computer software is written by contractors.

Don't limit yourself to the FAA if you're thinking of a flying job. In fact, you might want to avoid thinking about the FAA if you want a flying job. But there are several pilot positions in the federal government. It all starts with a search here:

https://www.usajobs.gov/

If you don't see what you want today, don't give up. Check back on a regular basis. Things change dramatically from time to time.

How difficult is it to get a job with the FAA without veterans' preference points? It seems like any person applying to a job on USAJobs.com is at a severe disadvantage without them.

What sorts of interesting gigs are there with the FAA, and does anyone here do any of them?

I know there are safety inspectors and stuff, and USA-Jobs lists a LOT of jobs for engineers. But I'm curious about other jobs, both flying and non-flying. Do they employ analysts? Policy people? Legislative affairs folks? Stuff like that.

If you work for the FAA and don't wish to post here, you can PM me. I was just thinking lately about a second career and given that I live in DC, it seems like there might be interesting possibilities.

The answer is yes to all. I know quite a few people. What are your qualifications?

BTW, D.C. is the best place to be for FAA jobs. For some reason general aviation (not airline) people think OKC, but the real work is all done in D.C., except for a lot of the aircraft cert work, and that is mostly SEA, but also ATL and LAX, but no shortage at Hq either.

BTW, D.C. is the best place to be for FAA jobs. For some reason general aviation (not airline) people think OKC, but the real work is all done in D.C., except for a lot of the aircraft cert work, and that is mostly SEA, but also ATL and LAX, but no shortage at Hq either.

PM sent. :)

Back