FAA hires teens!!!!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0714200...19827.htm?CMP=EMC-email_edition&DATE=07142008

The FAA has offered an unprecedented $100,000 bonus to air-traffic controllers throughout the country to lure them to the New York area's five understaffed radar centers - and has even begun trolling local high schools to recruit for the jobs

Scratch that -more importantly: How do they think that a $27k bonus plus $75k more over 3 years is going to get them anywhere when getting hired off the street with no experience? I'd be willing to bet the washout rate in NY is pretty up there. How does the FAA not see this is a problem and make changes to get quality controllers?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0714200...19827.htm?CMP=EMC-email_edition&DATE=07142008

Scratch that -more importantly: How do they think that a $27k bonus plus $75k more over 3 years is going to get them anywhere when getting hired off the street with no experience? I'd be willing to bet the washout rate in NY is pretty up there. How does the FAA not see this is a problem and make changes to get quality controllers?

Some of these teens iare working at JFK according to foxnews. I read a statistic somewhere that only 1% of Americans are qualified to be an ATC. I can quarantee the percentage is lower for n 18yr olds. There are not vey many teens that are mature enough to handle the responsibility or the stress that comes with being an ATC.

What's the catch? 3 years full time work experience in high school? I think I would take a shot at it, but I would always have a feeling of uncertainty without the four year degree.

I am sure this won't last long. Hell, most 18 year olds I know can't even get your order right at burger king.

I don't see the big deal with this.

For every inept child, there is a competent and quick-learning individual who desires a more challenging and worthwhile pursuit, and doesn't wish to be treated according to their peers. They're hardly "teens" - they're legal adults.

Besides, studies prove that you can teach a younger person much more efficiently than someone their elder - this is why many older students have problems getting accepted into many MS/PhD research programs at universities, because administrative folks often assume that they can no longer mold them, and rope them into being someone else's lackey.

Are they offering this bonus to everyone going to a NYC airport? This is the first I've read about a signing bonus...

I am sure this won't last long. Hell, most 18 year olds I know can't even get your order right at burger king.

Hey I'm 18 and taking the AT-SAT test Thursday, I'm guessing the only reason they choose me is because I have an Instrument rating.

How is this that different than teens working ATC in military towers? That's been going on for decades. Bottom line, you still have to be capable of doing the job. Some teens will be much more capable than many adults.

I think this article is poorly written. I read a similar article (link below) earlier today that indicated the bonus was for controllers who were willing to transfer to NY.

This excerpt from the article seems to verify that...

Thirty trained controllers have already accepted the Federal Aviation Administration's offer of a $27,000, one-time bonus to move to New York, plus another $75,000 paid over four years.

But this one seems to imply the offer is being made to new hires...

The offer - pitched to applicants from June 17 to July 8 - was made in an effort to cope with a higher-than-expected wave of retirements in the FAA, officials said.

It is like two articles about two different things (high school students & $100k bonuses) meshed together to make is seem like 18 year olds are being offered $100k bonuses.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2008/07/08/2008-07-08_flights_and_frights.html

You think I could apply now? I don't turn 18 until December. I only have one year of work experience, at an airport.

I'm pretty sure that you will still need 3 years of the progressively responsible work experience.

I think this article is poorly written. I read a similar article (link below) earlier today that indicated the bonus was for controllers who were willing to transfer to NY.

This excerpt from the article seems to verify that...

Thirty trained controllers have already accepted the Federal Aviation Administration's offer of a $27,000, one-time bonus to move to New York, plus another $75,000 paid over four years.

But this one seems to imply the offer is being made to new hires...

The offer - pitched to applicants from June 17 to July 8 - was made in an effort to cope with a higher-than-expected wave of retirements in the FAA, officials said.

It is like two articles about two different things (high school students & $100k bonuses) meshed together to make is seem like 18 year olds are being offered $100k bonuses.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2008/07/08/2008-07-08_flights_and_frights.html

Exactly....FAA won't give $100k to a brand new developmental going to New York just to fail.

The articles are misleading by implying that the FAA is giving bonuses to teens. But, what else is new in the media...

Second, there should be no reason a teenager can't handle an adult job. Unfortunately we've dumbed down nearly all of them. Just 100 years ago, we regularly had kids graduating harvard at age 13, speaking 6 languages, inventing things, and by 16 they were traveling the world as diplomats and constables for the United States.

Today we expect them to play video games, get trashed, screw around with each other, and then blame the "system" when things don't work out. When you expect nothing, you get nothing.

Summary: Teens have the capacity to learn and do alot of great things, including control air traffic. If you can find one that can hack it, I say Bravo.

This article, however inaccurate, infuriated me. I'm still waiting for a PEPC invite for NY/NJ. Don't tell me that I'm getting passed over for some high school kid.

There wouldn't shortages if the FAA actually hired those who are interested.

This article, however inaccurate, infuriated me. I'm still waiting for a PEPC invite for NY/NJ. Don't tell me that I'm getting passed over for some high school kid.

There wouldn't shortages if the FAA actually hired those who are interested.

This wasn't just an article, they showed it on TV this afternoon. I watched it with a few controllers and they just shook their head.

How is this that different than teens working ATC in military towers? That's been going on for decades. Bottom line, you still have to be capable of doing the job. Some teens will be much more capable than many adults.

There is just something about going to boot camp for 2.5 months that makes you grow up. Seriously. And for the ones who make it through boot camp but don't have the maturity to keep their heads in the books during school get washed out once they get there.

The school for ATC (at least in the Army) is very fast paced and very detailed. The washout rate was right around 50%. My graduating class started with 15 soldiers and graduated only 7 of the original class.

I would much rather have an 18 year old that has gone through 7-8 months of training (basic and AIT) controlling live traffic than some OTS kid straight out of high school.

Back