FAA hires teens!!!!

When I toured ZNY there were two people interning who said it was set up through their CTI program. Seems like it was only for CTI people.

If you go onto the link I posted. There are internship programs specifically for:

-CTI Students
-High School Students
-Undergrad/college students
-Non-paid internship for all students (Volunteer Program)

Two pretty good videos.

The first video is predominantly about the shortage at McCarran atct, but they do say that these high school kids are offered a $100,000 signing bonus. I'm not sure if it is true though.

Nice find....

While the FAA might be offereing signing bonuses for new controllers at NY facilities...I think I am going to have to wave the "BS FLAG" on the $100,000 signing bonus. Seriously...

I dont believe many people would feel safe knowing the controller of their aircraft is just out of high school. While the military has young controllers doing the same job...I believe the military has a LOT MORE discipline alnog those lines.

Two pretty good videos.

The first video is predominantly about the shortage at McCarran atct, but they do say that these high school kids are offered a $100,000 signing bonus. I'm not sure if it is true though.

The second is just pretty funny: "Bro, you can totally land on the south side, dude...":laff:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lYlGChOH9pM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LJZ9Y4-faB4

I apologize if these two videos have already been posted.

Thank you so much for posting the first one...I love McCarran.

Nice find....

While the FAA might be offereing signing bonuses for new controllers at NY facilities...I think I am going to have to wave the "BS FLAG" on the $100,000 signing bonus. Seriously...

I dont believe many people would feel safe knowing the controller of their aircraft is just out of high school. While the military has young controllers doing the same job...I believe the military has a LOT MORE discipline alnog those lines.

Not quite sure where this rumor got started. The Bone-us is for veteran controllers, not new hires. The FFAA hasn't gotten that stupid yet.

Nice find....

They can feel whatever they want, we're going to be doing the job.

I'm straight out of highschool, and have applied OTS. I'm not even 18 yet! Theres a few on here who are on the same boat with me. If we can pass OKC and get checked out our facility (key word being facility here...) than i see no difference.

Is there going to be a higher potential for failure for those at our age? Possibly...But could there be a higher potential for growth and learning quicker? Possibly too....:rawk:

After watching the second link it appears they're dropping hiring minimums? I know some high school kids meet the minimums. But it appears they're looking to fill spots pretty desperately.a

They can feel whatever they want, we're going to be doing the job.

I'm straight out of highschool, and have applied OTS. I'm not even 18 yet! Theres a few on here who are on the same boat with me. If we can pass OKC and get checked out our facility (key word being facility here...) than i see no difference.

Is there going to be a higher potential for failure for those at our age? Possibly...But could there be a higher potential for growth and learning quicker? Possibly too....:rawk:

You are funny..can't wait to see you at ATL. Like your ba**s but there is a huge difference between hiring someone that is 18 and someone that is 22 or 23. I have witnessed in the last 2 years the MOST immature 22-23 year old CTI/VRA's come swinging in the doors of A80 like their s*** doesn't stink...and they su** at what they do. Grow up a little before you think you can handle it...this is a man's game. Join the military for a few years...you'll really grow up in a hurry.

BTW-THEY are who pays YOUR salary..you need to care what THEY think.

:sarcasm:uhhh...you mean I don't get a 100,000 dollar check when I graduate high school?? I mean I thought I would just go out to New York's JFK, possibly NY Tracon and just tell a few planes what to do! It can't be that hard.:sarcasm: Sorry guys, had to do it. I know it's scary to hear the FAA is hiring just high school grads. I know most of my class would not make it because their maturity level is low. There are those that are dedicated to make it as a controller though.

Screw this $100,000 business. I'll take the job today with with no sign on bonus, and I'm sure alot of you are with me.
All this propaganda is doing for me is calming my nerves. I'm not straight out of high school, and I don't want a 100 large. Hire me!
All of us applicants should hope they are as desperate as these type of news reports are making them appear.

You are funny..can't wait to see you at ATL. Like your ba**s but there is a huge difference between hiring someone that is 18 and someone that is 22 or 23. I have witnessed in the last 2 years the MOST immature 22-23 year old CTI/VRA's come swinging in the doors of A80 like their s*** doesn't stink...and they su** at what they do. Grow up a little before you think you can handle it...this is a man's game. Join the military for a few years...you'll really grow up in a hurry.

THANK YOU CJ...Awsome post!! Its people like that who need to get knocked down to reality.

you cannot judge someone on their age. It is a psychological battle with the fear of someone that is younger than you with less experience performing at a higher rate or quality than you are, or were at that age. If all government recruiters where like that I would be out of a job as we speak. I am a 911 dispatcher and voted top dispatcher for the past 4 months straight. I think that takes some maturity no? But I do understand the age stereotype dont get me wrong... its just you have to know someones background before you assume.

Thank you so much for posting the first one...I love McCarran.

I'm glad you liked it. I hope this gives you a little more hope on getting picked up by LAS

ATL, how did you like the reporter's mispronunciation of "FAA" in the second video at 1:57. I thought you might get a kick out of it.

you cannot judge someone on their age. It is a psychological battle with the fear of someone that is younger than you with less experience performing at a higher rate or quality than you are, or were at that age. If all government recruiters where like that I would be out of a job as we speak. I am a 911 dispatcher and voted top dispatcher for the past 4 months straight. I think that takes some maturity no? But I do understand the age stereotype dont get me wrong... its just you have to know someones background before you assume.

I think ATLTRACON is only trying to ground you in reality. You may very well have the skills and maturity it takes to make it in ATC. But it also takes a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck along the way. The younger you are, the more the odds are stacked against you. If this is your dream, you really should go for it. Just manage your expectations appropriately.

Chris

Back