FAA hires teens!!!!

Hi, I'm interested in your sig. You got your results back yesterday and already have an interview?

Yes. Because I did an internship at HNL for the summer initiative employment with that facility. Im still waiting for it to be scheduled but I think its just a pre-thing to get everything moving faster. Its more of a transfer to a permanent position.

Same exact story. Family restaurant!

I've actually been working longer than 3 years full time.

Haha labor LAWS exempt due to family run business....

Yes. Because I did an internship at HNL for the summer initiative employment with that facility. Im still waiting for it to be scheduled but I think its just a pre-thing to get everything moving faster. Its more of a transfer to a permanent position.

How does the internship thing work? I talked to someone that was interning at a tower but never understood how it worked?

Same exact story. Family restaurant!

I've actually been working longer than 3 years full time.

Haha labor LAWS exempt due to family run business....

YES we are in the same boat. haha where have you been? but anyway LABOR LAWS ARE TOTALLY OFF LIMITS TO YOUR EMPLOYMENT WHEN A FAMILY MEMBER IS A SOLE PROPRIETOR. thank god for that :rawk:

YES we are in the same boat. haha where have you been? but anyway LABOR LAWS ARE TOTALLY OFF LIMITS TO YOUR EMPLOYMENT WHEN A FAMILY MEMBER IS A SOLE PROPRIETOR. thank god for that :rawk:

Haha yeapppp. It's funny, when certain employee is about to exceed 40 hours or an 8 hour shift i'm called in to relieve him (no over time pay). I remember for a couple of weeks i did a time card just for the hell of it and i did 66 hours one week! Woohoo!!! hahahahah NOT!

Haha yeapppp. It's funny, when certain employee is about to exceed 40 hours or an 8 hour shift i'm called in to relieve him (no over time pay). I remember for a couple of weeks i did a time card just for the hell of it and i did 66 hours one week! Woohoo!!! hahahahah NOT!

i think the most i had was 110 in one week. grand opening week. breakfast lunch and dinner shift for 6days straight.. 5am till like 1130pm crazzzzyyyy busy too..

i think the most i had was 110 in one week. grand opening week. breakfast lunch and dinner shift for 6days straight.. 5am till like 1130pm crazzzzyyyy busy too..

Lord...haha we have more stories to tell man!

It's like looking at myself in the mirror!

So how does the intern thing work man?

:yeahthat: manilei, can you tell us what one does as an intern at a facility?

basically it is never the same for every person.. Its like you do whatever they want whenever they want. Brenda from FAA HR, the one what is in charge of the program will refer you to a facility after turning in a resume.. not an application. You have to be in college or HS to do this. Your intership pay depends on your background and most of the interns get picked for Air Traffic department. Very few get picked for HR or Inspections etc... I had to do reports, check the weather and stuff like that.. its like a flight service station assistant or a Air Traffic Assistant.. but I couldnt do it alone. Always with someone.. as im not an employee. Its very neat though seeing everything behind the scenes, because I had an FAA badge and got major access to airport stuff.

basically it is never the same for every person.. Its like you do whatever they want whenever they want. Brenda from FAA HR, the one what is in charge of the program will refer you to a facility after turning in a resume.. not an application. You have to be in college or HS to do this. Your intership pay depends on your background and most of the interns get picked for Air Traffic department. Very few get picked for HR or Inspections etc... I had to do reports, check the weather and stuff like that.. its like a flight service station assistant or a Air Traffic Assistant.. but I couldnt do it alone. Always with someone.. as im not an employee. Its very neat though seeing everything behind the scenes, because I had an FAA badge and got major access to airport stuff.

Hmm that's pretty cool for an internship

I'm currently in an internship that I applied for through the CTI announcement way back in May. I'm officially in Traffic Management, but I can go wherever I want and listen in on any position. They're also taking me to airport towers and do familiarization trips.
I get paid, so it's a great gig to have.:nana2:

I'm currently in an internship that I applied for through the CTI announcement way back in May. I'm officially in Traffic Management, but I can go wherever I want and listen in on any position. They're also taking me to airport towers and do familiarization trips.
I get paid, so it's a great gig to have.:nana2:

Even though I'm past the point in my life of internships, I'm still curious about it all... What does a traffic management intern do?

Even though I'm past the point in my life of internships, I'm still curious about it all... What does a traffic management intern do?

Pretty much just learn about everything that the whole facility does. I determine when planes should be released from airports to fit into the flow, keep the computers and stuff updated that the controllers use, send out general info to other facilities.....Mainly just a little of everything to get me acquainted with what I'll be doing eventually.

What phone number would I contact for the internship?....I tried earlier this summer and knowone seemed to have a clue about it. Also, do they have these ongoing through the school year? Thanks.

What phone number would I contact for the internship?....I tried earlier this summer and knowone seemed to have a clue about it. Also, do they have these ongoing through the school year? Thanks.

click this link and each of the three options has more after going to the site. Hope this helps..
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ahr/jobs_careers/student_programs/

that is the regional HR way. Im not sure if you would be able to just contact your tower or center to see if you can do an internship of volunteer there.

Good Luck!

Interesting about the air traffic interns. I'm an intern for aviation system standards (avn) and have been assigned to the NFPO. It's at MMAC, same place as the academy. At this point, atc is kinda my backup plan; I really want to get into a TERPS job. I just got my at-sat score and got a 91.8 which i'm pleased with. Being an intern definetly helps to get some inside connections. I'm pretty sure there are some others on this forum that have interned for AVN based on 'sooner' user names, or being from oklahoma.

When I toured ZNY there were two people interning who said it was set up through their CTI program. Seems like it was only for CTI people.

Back