FAA hires teens!!!!

Hey I'm 18 and taking the AT-SAT test Thursday, I'm guessing the only reason they choose me is because I have an Instrument rating.

Could be that you are one of the few that would be great for a job such as this one. I am not saying that a lot of kids aren't capable. I just don't think 90% of them care enough, and a lot of money will be wasted training someone that may not have any respect for the job as they don't know what else is out there to compare it to. They just don't have enough life experience. I got myself into those same situations not too many years back. I had a couple great jobs that could have been careers that had I known how really great they were, I probably would have treated them with a lot more respect. Intelligence and talent don't equal a good employee. The good news for my employers is that it didn't cost near as much to train me as it costs to train a controller, so by the time I left for what I thought were greener pastures, I had already made their money back 10 fold.:whatever:

I gotta be honest, I don't really care how the FAA advertises or how old the applicants are. If the advertising recruits applicants who can pass the training and succeed at their facility then what's the problem? If an 18-year-old can make it through OKC and get checked out at their facility then I don't see what the big deal is. Just my $.014 (yes I stole that from ATL) :crazy:

I hired out on the railroad at 18.5 years of young age. Although some people are mature, others are not... varies on the person. However I will say that younger people at my line of work have had easier training and better work performance overall.

However, given the insane level of responsiblity at some ATC locations, it would be nice to see the FAA choosing people with a little more life background than a barely graduated high school student with non-demanding work experience.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0714200...19827.htm?CMP=EMC-email_edition&DATE=07142008

Scratch that -more importantly: How do they think that a $27k bonus plus $75k more over 3 years is going to get them anywhere when getting hired off the street with no experience? I'd be willing to bet the washout rate in NY is pretty up there. How does the FAA not see this is a problem and make changes to get quality controllers?

hay dude are you talking about the same FFA i work for??????because if you are ill let you in on a little secret.

THEY DONT CARE, ITS JUST A NUMBERS GAME FOR CONGRESS.if the FFA wanted quality controllers they would have a standard like we had 25 years ago when the need for controllers was even greater, not that poor excuse of an entrance test and that puppy mill they call OKC.

the wash out rate is 50 to 60% in this job,you 95% that pass OKC will in the long run be only 40% in the end.

The rule is.. The person must be 18 years old to be licensed as an AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER (Meaning after completing training) I am 17 now and turn 18 in late December. I already took my ATSAT.. so im well into the process. Don't let the age stop anyone from trying as long as you have the other requirements..

Does anybody know where I can apply? And also, does anyone know if I'm eligible? I'm 20 years old with some college. The only thing holding me back previously was the three years full time workexperience. Any information is greatly appreciated.

http://jobs.faa.gov/ and search all opportunities, open to non-Federal employees, the series is 2152 for Air Traffic Controllers and search...soon enough there will be a PUBNAT-5 (#5 most likely) if things are logical. A little more specific on the process...

Does anybody know where I can apply? And also, does anyone know if I'm eligible? I'm 20 years old with some college. The only thing holding me back previously was the three years full time workexperience. Any information is greatly appreciated.

You need 4 years of college or 3 years of full time work experience, or a combination of both. So if you have some college (30 semester credits = 9 months full time work experience) and then some work experience and they add up to 3 years, you're ok. Anyway, it can't hurt to apply and see what happens. The worst thing is they say you aren't eligible and you either continue school or work and try again later if you so choose.

I'm 17 and applied. I have 3 years full time work experience.

I'm waiting on getting scheduled for the AT-SAT. :)

The rule is.. The person must be 18 years old to be licensed as an AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER (Meaning after completing training) I am 17 now and turn 18 in late December. I already took my ATSAT.. so im well into the process. Don't let the age stop anyone from trying as long as you have the other requirements..

Hi, I'm interested in your sig. You got your results back yesterday and already have an interview?

Back