F/O for Home Depot

Timmy Tucker

I know nothing about Home Depot or this particular position, just happened to run across it looking for another HD position.

Preferred mins are ATP, associates degree, 2000TT, 500 turbine, 500PIC.

Based in Atlanta.

HD careers page

Ability to achieve type rating in Home Depot owned/leased jet aircraft within one year of date of hire.

Do they expect the SIC to pay for their own type?

This position opens up about once every 6 months. Don't know why, but I do know that. Keep that in mind. Could be a good way to bide time for a couple months until something else comes along.

I don't know any specifics about the job but do know that their flight department has EXCEEDINGLY high turn over.

I don't know any specifics about the job but do know that their flight department has EXCEEDINGLY high turn over.

In a time of serious economic turmoil in the business world, isn't flight dept cost something that gets bean counter's attention ? Zap said they don't expect pilots to "pay to play" so does this mean they're spending lots money to fund a high turnover in the flight dept ?

Is this something important or too small an expense to matter in the Big Picture ?

Most of the Fortune 500 have become pretty good at quantifying the cost of a flight department. (The auto industry being the notable exception). The value of the corporate fleet is in the productivity savings it generates for the company. An executive that makes in the six and seven figure range doesn't have to be driving the rental car from Metropolis Airport to the plant in Smallville and back, or enduring a layover in Gotham for very long for the cost of their nonproductive time to outweigh any savings that the airlines over a corporate aircraft might have generated.

The fact of the matter is that there are hundreds (thousands?) of airports in the US that are more convenient to where our customers need to conduct business than the nearest airline airport and time -- as they say -- is money.

Here's an old thread on the topic:
http://forums.jetcareers.com/834795-post23.html

Oh...and by the way with regard to "Pay to Play". A corporate jet type rating might cost $20,000 or so. At $5.00 per gallon, that is equal to about 4000 gallons of Jet-A or about 20 hours of flight time. If your operator can't afford to fly the airplane for 20 hours they don't need to be running an airplane. Crew training costs are just a part of doing business. The Fortune 500 executives dont want some hack with a big line of credit. They want to be choosy about who they hire. (and before you ask, yes -- I slipped through the cracks).

Oh...and by the way with regard to "Pay to Play". Crew training costs are just a part of doing business.

Zap,

Amen, Bro. Most of the corp jobs ads I see say "...typed and current..." so it's nice to see a company doing things the right way. It's rare to see one say "...will type the right person...".

The airlines around the world are just as bad, if not worse, in terms of "pay to play" and certainly don't seem to think training cost is part of their obligation. Lots of pilots looking, so maybe the airlines don't have to foot the training cost.

I take it you are happy at HD despite of references to high turnover ? Stay away from the airline biz...:(

I don't work for Home Depot. Just try and interject from time to time to help airline people understand the differences in corporate. I've been on both sides so I know a little about the preconceived notions that exist on both sides of the fence.

Zap,

Amen, Bro. Most of the corp jobs ads I see say "...typed and current..." so it's nice to see a company doing things the right way. It's rare to see one say "...will type the right person...".

The airlines around the world are just as bad, if not worse, in terms of "pay to play" and certainly don't seem to think training cost is part of their obligation. Lots of pilots looking, so maybe the airlines don't have to foot the training cost.

I take it you are happy at HD despite of references to high turnover ? Stay away from the airline biz...:(

:yeahthat:

I many cases, the right person for the job just doesn't have the type. They shouldn't be overlooked IMO.

Our organization just hired three and, I may be mistaken, but I don't think any of them were typed in the airplane beforehand.

Our organization just hired three and, I may be mistaken, but I don't think any of them were typed in the airplane beforehand.

Zap,

Just out of idle curiosity, where did these 3 new hires come from ? Were they hired from resumes sent in by unknowns or from internal recommendations of current pilots in your company?

My buddies in the corp world say internal recommendation is king. I know a few ex-airline guys who made the jump and every one was from an internal recommendation.

Glad to see your outfit looks beyond a few bucks for an initial school.

Avoid the airline biz....:insane:

Back