F-8 Crusader and the "Variable Incidence Wing"

That could be true, slow spool up time can be a killer. I think it depends on the mishap rate and I'd have to find it but I think the F-8 had the highest accident rate around the boat. The one great thing about the E2/C2 at the boat is that instantaneous power response. It got me out of trouble a few times. A few months ago, a former C-2 driver and now 45 IP (not me) had a cut pass at the boat. Can't leave it at idle for too long.

Think I heard about that through the grapevine......and very true....the -45 really required good anticipation of power required. Didn't really notice it as an issue in the Hornet, but I may just be used to it by now

I've always been fascinated by the F-8 Crusader's wing.

Wasn't another purpose of the Variable Incidence Wing to increase the visibility for the pilot on approach? Decrease the "deck angle" and therefore increase the forward visibility for landings. Not sure if that was intended or of it was just a by-product of the design.

Actually the variable incidence wing was what allowed the slower approach speeds without striking the low tail; also on a runway takeoff, it allowed there to be be little need for rotation for liftoff, again due to striking the low-tail on the runway.

Back