Eyesight over 40

pilotbry

I am about to turn 46 and my eyesight has degraded to where I need glasses to read an approach plate and at my last class 1 the doc included the restriction to have "glasses available for near vision". 1.25 reading glasses do the trick. I have noticed that if I wear the glasses all day, I can't read a thing after I take them off. But if I go without the glasses for a while I can read the same thing from the same distance with a little bit of straining. As I understand it, there are little focus muscles in the eye that wear out as you age and that is why you start to need glasses in your 40s after having 20/20 up until then. Is it possible that wearing the glasses is making those muscles weaker? Would it be a good idea not to wear them unless I really had to?

Thanks in advance

No, wear the glasses. You are deluding yourself into youth otherwise:laff: Unfortunately, presbyopia is a fact of life for those of us over 40:(

As I understand it, there are little focus muscles in the eye that wear out as you age and that is why you start to need glasses in your 40s after having 20/20 up until then.

My understanding is that it's the eye's lens that grows less flexible, not the muscles that grow weaker. Exercise won't fix that.

In my early 40s I started using the no line bifocals. My distant vision is fine, but I use 2.00 cheaters for reading.

With no correction at the top, some in the middle, and a lot at the bottom, they are great for flying. You can be looking outside, down at your charts, up a little at the panel, and everything is in focus.

They take a little getting used to with tilting your head the right way and such, but they're great.

Back