Eye drops and the 8500-7

DaveC

I'm up to 20/20 just a week after getting PRK, but I'm still being tapered off the Omnipred steroid drops. Would there be any issues from having that listed on the 8500-7? I need to know if I should wait till I'm done with the drops before getting a new medical.

As a side note, I wish I hadn't waited so long on this surgery. I have great results with zero pain and no halos or other issues.

I'm up to 20/20 just a week after getting PRK, but I'm still being tapered off the Omnipred steroid drops. Would there be any issues from having that listed on the 8500-7? I need to know if I should wait till I'm done with the drops before getting a new medical.

As a side note, I wish I hadn't waited so long on this surgery. I have great results with zero pain and no halos or other issues.

Is PRK the safest best one to get? I'm worried about halos and night vision if I get laser surgery.

You need to be off the drops before you go back to flying. Remember to have the surgeon complete a form 8500-7 to send to the FAA.

If I were to have refractive surgery, it would be LASIK at this point in time.

I had wavefront lasik which is done (i think) completely by a laser back in October. Walking out of the office my vision was noticeably better. The next day check up I had 20-25 vision, a week later i was to 20-20, and a month later i was at 20-15. Absolutely amazing. The operation did not hurt and you sleep through the most painful part, which is 1-6 hours after the surgery.

The first week your eyes are adjusting, some moments it may be a little fuzzy but most of the time its pretty good. During the first week I did experience a small about of halos while driving at night on the freeway but other then that it was great.

Anyone thinking of any of the lasik procedures should defiantly at least get a consultation. The price is a little steep, it was $4500 for me, but it was worth it.

I did Lasik in 1998 and have been 20/20 or better ever since. Best thing i've ever done.

Off the drops and 20/15, so I've got the form filled out. Who do I send this to? The AMCD?

As for the operation, I did PRK because I'm applying for an air contract in Marine OCS 201 in June. I need the medical because I'm working as a CFI until then. Overall I'm very happy with the procedure. No major discomfort and great results.

So can I go back to flying now? The eye surgeon says my vision is great and I'll get the form off the the FAA. But now I have a medical that says I need corrective lenses when I clearly don't.

From the way I'm interpreting the FAA website it looks like I can, but I want to make sure I don't need a new or updated medical certificate.

The FAA expects that a pilot will not resume piloting aircraft until his or her own treating health care professional determines:

• The post operative condition has stabilized;
  • There have been no significant adverse effects or complications; and
  • The person meets the appropriate FAA vision standards.
If these determinations are favorable and if otherwise qualified, the pilot may immediately resume piloting but must ensure that:

• The treating health care professional documents his or her determinations in the pilot's health care treatment record;
  • A copy of that record is immediately forwarded to the Aerospace Medical Certification Division in Oklahoma City; and
  • A personal copy is retained.
The airman may continue flight duties unless informed otherwise by the FAA or another disqualifying condition occurs.

Thanks for the help here.

Yes, you can go back to flying. Carry a copy of the 8500-7 with you in case an FAA safety inspector asks where your glasses are. If yo mail the 8500-7, the FAA will probably send you a corrected medical certificate.

Back