ExpressJet furloughs 346

Been pretty obvious for a while now. Still sucked when I read the txt from jtrain on the van to CLT today. Hoping xjet survives and recalls. If not I'm almost certain I'll never go back. First year at the regionals is such crap. I'm not going to walk away from a real salary in a cubicle to make $19k again.

So moral of the story, I hope xjet recalls 'cause I'd rather go back.

Sad news. I am holding my seat and getting my base of choice (well, 2nd choice since my 1st choice is going the way of the dodo). It makes me sick reading over the list of furloughees, having flown with many of them and knowing how hard they worked to get this job, not to mention what good pilots they were. I can only hope this is a blessing in disguise for some of them, who will go on to better opportunities if they don't eventually accept the call to come back.....

-Eric

Been pretty obvious for a while now. Still sucked when I read the txt from jtrain on the van to CLT today. Hoping xjet survives and recalls. If not I'm almost certain I'll never go back. First year at the regionals is such crap. I'm not going to walk away from a real salary in a cubicle to make $19k again.

I'm right there with you...

We made the furlough cut by less than 30 people. Thank godness, because we sure as heck can't afford to pay COBRA ourselves and without a medical there are no options for finding another flying job right now.

Heartfelt condolences to those who got cut. I can honestly say I know what it's like to have the bottom drop out when you just got into your dream career.

K

It sounds to me like your quality of life and pay will go way up, so I am not going to give you any condolences, I am going to congratulate you! Good luck getting that ski instructor job. Use up those bennies as quickly as you can.

We made the furlough cut by less than 30 people. Thank godness, because we sure as heck can't afford to pay COBRA ourselves and without a medical there are no options for finding another flying job right now.

Heartfelt condolences to those who got cut. I can honestly say I know what it's like to have the bottom drop out when you just got into your dream career.

K

That's great to hear! Me and Em were worried about ya'll, and we're glad you made the cut!

I´m very sorry for everyone furloughed. I´m going from a hard line holder to a very junior reserve in my base, but I´m happy I still have a job. I guess it´s payback time to the reserve god since I was only on reserve for 10 days the first time around.

Good luck everyone.

Mike
I think you'd make relief line, no? I held reserve longer than you did and it appears that way for me.

I know at lease one person who left before this took place, and I know he's happy. For the rest of my compadres who I personally know on that list, I wish things were better, but I know you guys will do well...probably better than where we who made the cut are.

I might be able to be a relief line holder in Newark, but I'm near the bottom in IAH. I might try for a base trade, and hope that a lot of people senior to me don't have the same idea.

BINGO! My life right now revolves around:

-Trying to get a job as a ski instructor this winter
-Trying to figure out how to get my new Juciy 5's to stop from squeeling
-Trying to figure out how to be home more
-Trying to figure out how to ride more
-Trying to figure out what kind of all mountain ski to get this winter

I'll be furlough while sitting in the Canary Islands with a drink in one hand and my other arm around my new wife.

Can I get furloughed too?

We'd love to have you up here! It's all good at Terminal A. ;)

Hey I wouldn't mind. I've been through there a few times in the last few weeks and seem to have the process down.

Here's the quick and sloppy count of where I'm at and about where I would be in the other bases with the current bid:

EWR/JET/FO #173 Sept 08: 162 Lines + 13 Relief

IAH/JET/FO #660 Sept 08: 372 Lines + 50 Relief

CLE/JET/FO #81 Sept 08: 47 Lines + 7 Relief

I'm really starting to think Newark. Some of those included in the bid are inactive pilots too. It's a tougher commute, but I think it would be better to commute to a line than to commute to reserve.

Good luck to all you guys. If anyone is ever in the Columbus area and wants a free beer feel free to PM.

I'll trade you, you can have my cube and my salary and I'll take your ratings and your spot on furlough. Deal? :laff:

I'll trade you, you can have my cube and my salary and I'll take your ratings and your spot on furlough. Deal? :laff:

Yeah that's cute but it ain't so funny to the cats that take this career seriously and have bills to pay with this job. You might think that it's "YOUR DRRREEEAAAAMMM!!!!" but to some folks it's become a nightmare.

Back