Even More Pictures From The Ramp

Joe

Following the tradition of this thread and this thread, here's some more pictures taken from the ramp at OQU. They start from early May and go all the way to last night. The 2008 Rhode Island National Guard Open House & Air Show was on June 28 & 29, so I've got several pictures from that. However, despite the busy summer season which will begin to wind down soon, I didn't get that many pictures over the past two months. Oh, and to answer the inevitable, I'm using a 6 MP Canon PowerShot S3 IS. Enjoy...

United States Air Force Gulfstream C-37A (military variant of the Gulfstream V). The blurred lights in the background are from a fuel truck.

United States Marines Corps Cessna UC-35D Encore (military variant of the Citation Encore).

attachment.php

Rainbow over Narragansett Bay as seen from the control tower catwalk.

attachment.php

View from inside the tower cab. The aircraft on the ramp is an IAI Galaxy.

Diamond DA42 Twin Star

Embraer Legacy 600 (based on the ERJ-135).

Same aircraft as the previous, starting up its engines at 12:30 AM at the end of what turned out to be a 17-hour work day.

attachment.php

A rather large striper caught by one of my coworkers over at the sea wall.

Grumman C-2A(R) Greyhound; callsign "Rawhide 03." Probably the dirtiest (not to mention stinkiest) airplane I've seen on the ramp.

Bombardier Challenger 604. Stretch the fuselage a bit and throw another 70 or so seats in there and you've got yourself a CRJ.

Grumman E-2C Hawkeye. Somehow between fueling a Learjet 31 and parking a Hawker 800XP I was able to run inside to grab my camera and get a shot of it doing a touch-and-go before departing. This thing was surprisingly agile, particularly when it performed an overhead break before landing.

Bombardier Challenger 300 getting ready to depart at sunset.

Raytheon Hawker 800XP.

Dassault Falcon 20.

This Boeing C-17 Globemaster III flew in for the air show from March Joint Air Reserve Base in Riverside County, CA. It flies with the 452nd Air Mobility Wing.

This Royal Air Force C-17 was less than three weeks old when this was taken; it was at OQU to support the Red Arrows.

attachment.php

A view of the ramp from the roof during the air show. Aircraft include a Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II, a McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle, and a North American T-39 Sabreliner.

The Shockwave Jet Truck accelerating to over 350 mph on Runway 34.

The ramp as seen from the control tower catwalk. Notice how everyone crowds together under the shadow of the C-17 and the boats anchored out in the bay.

The Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit stealth bomber made a few low passes on Saturday.

attachment.php

The Red Arrows lined up on the hot ramp.

attachment.php

Royal Air Force C-17, Fed Ex Boeing 727-227, Grumman E-2C Hawkeye, and a McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet.

I was on the other side of the hot ramp with a coworker refueling a helicopter used to film Sean D. Tucker's display when the Red Arrows finished; giving me a unique perspective as they taxied to parking. The Red Arrows fly the British Aerospace Hawk T.1A.

A McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle retracting its landing gear after takeoff. This aircraft belongs to the 336th Fighter Squadron under the 4th Fighter Wing of the United States Air Force at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro, NC.

A United States Marine Corps McDonnell Douglas AV-8B+ Harrier II Plus getting ready to start it's demo. This aircraft belongs to Marine Attack Squadron 231 at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in Havelock, NC.

A Harrier hovering in place is probably one of the loudest things you'll ever hear.

Julie Clark's Beech T-34A Mentor.

Sean D. Tucker's Oracle Challenger II biplane.

On Sunday, a Boeing B-52H Stratofortress made two low passes.

Four Red Arrows breaking formation.

The Red Arrows in close formation.

After the air show on Sunday, one of my coworkers managed to get a ride with Eric Tucker in his Extra 300L.

This classic Grumman Gulfstream I was manufactured in 1962; I never thought I'd see one.

This Lockheed HC-130H Hercules is based at Coast Guard Air Station Sacramento in California. While most of the USCG Ice Patrol C-130s that come through OQU just quickly clear customs and turn back out, this one is full of passengers and spent the night.

Attachments

• Rainbow (Medium).jpg
    Rainbow (Medium).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 881
  • Control Tower (Medium).jpg
    Control Tower (Medium).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 850
  • Brandon's Striped Bass (Medium).jpg
    Brandon's Striped Bass (Medium).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 811
  • Air Show (Medium).jpg
    Air Show (Medium).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 799
  • Red Arrows #2 (Medium).jpg
    Red Arrows #2 (Medium).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 812
  • Boeing C-17 Globemaster III #5 (Medium).jpg
    Boeing C-17 Globemaster III #5 (Medium).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 809
Awesome pictures! It's nice to see a few Rhode Island shots get posted in this forum. The shots are great - too bad the local papers don't get shots that good!

Back