Eva - Tpe

Polar742

All the responsibility none of the authority
http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english/global_tools/hire/Job_Openings/pilot

EVA Airways Corporation, based in Taiwan, requires B747-400 / B777 / MD-11 pilots
Long-term Contract (four years with possible extension) for B747-400 / B777 / MD11 First Officer:

Jet Candidate:
  1. at least 2,000 total flight hours
  2. at least 500 hours Jet (MTOW>20 tons)
  3. ICAO ATPL & Jet Type-Rating
  4. currency within one year
  5. commercial jet / glass cockpit experiences preferably
Turbo-prop Candidate (for Freighter Fleet only):
  1. at least 1,500 total flight hours
  2. at least 500 hours Turbo-prop
  3. ICAO ATPL & Turbo-prop Type-Rating
  4. glass cockpit experiences preferably
Please download EVA Application Form & Flight Time Record Form for Expatriate Pilots.

Fill-out forms & documents shall be sent to:
Pilot Administration Section
9th F, 376 Hsin-nan Rd., Sec. 1, Luchu, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, R.O.C.

If you have an ATPL, I would hope you have a PIC Type rating somewhere on your card.

I know a lot of guys with ATPs that only have SIC type ratings. Was actually pretty common before 2005. Well, not the SIC type, but guys have ATPs with no type ratings.

For anyone considering EVA this is useful information.

http://nankantraz.org/Default.htm

While these types of sites need to be taken with a grain of salt, they do always have some element of truth. EVA is to be used to gain experience and nothing more. It is a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I know many people who have used it for that purpose. To go in with the right attitude and know that you will be abused for 4 years so that your career can progress is the way to look at joining EVA.

Typhoonpilot

hmm, a lot of people have ATP without a type rating... not like you have to go to an airline to get an ATP.

I know the post that was directly above you, and that I have nicely posted right below was 3 hours prior to your posting. . .but. . .

Ah yes - the famous ATP ME/SE. ;)

So yes, I know very well that not every ATP has a type rating attached to it.

But, this company is seeking an ATPL, with jet or turbo prop experience, with a Type rating.

The likelihood of a candidate that has an ATPL, no type, and is hired by this company is small. Very small. At least if they hold by their listed "requirements."

So. . .what's nice? :rolleyes:

typhoonpilot said:
EVA is to be used to gain experience and nothing more. It is a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I know many people who have used it for that purpose. To go in with the right attitude and know that you will be abused for 4 years so that your career can progress is the way to look at joining EVA.

Typhoonpilot

Since this place is a stepping stone. . .what are some companies that these guys end up going off to as their "career" company? Do they come back to the states and manage to get on with a heavy lift provider in the ACMI world? FedEx, UPS?

So then where do these guys go after their done stepping on the stone?

Just goto EVA for a Heavy type rating? Then what. . .? I don't know too many places hiring right now that have MD-11s, 747s, and 777s laying around needing pilots.

Just goto EVA for a Heavy type rating? Then what. . .? I don't know too many places hiring right now that have MD-11s, 747s, and 777s laying around needing pilots.

They probably would go to Korean Air or Asiana... I know they hire lots of expats and require the type... I'm sure there are many others too.

Emirates, Etihad, Cathay, Singapore, Korean, Japan, China, and UPS to name a few.

Typhoonpilot

Sure, but you're being abused while making more money. . .cha-ching!!1

Nevertheless, if this is a stepping stone towards a Cathay, I don't think I could hesitate. Perhaps in 10 years.

Sure, but you're being abused while making more money. . .cha-ching!!1

Nevertheless, if this is a stepping stone towards a Cathay, I don't think I could hesitate. Perhaps in 10 years.

I guess I just don't wanna move my family half way across the world for a stepping stone. Just me, though. Might work out well for the single guys.

I guess I just don't wanna move my family half way across the world for a stepping stone. Just me, though. Might work out well for the single guys.

You definitely don't want to move your family to Taiwan unless you are on a "expat" package ( which EVA isn't) or your family is ethnic Chinese. Taiwan is not a place to go as a poor First Officer. If you could live in Tien Mu and send your kids to the American School then it's okay, but you wouldn't be able to do that on EVA's salary.

TP

TP, it seems like you have lived around TPE for awhile. ;) That is my home country. I still have the rest of immediate family there. I might considered if I have min. qualification. :D(not ATP yet)

For people who have never been there, Tien Mu is where most of foreigners lives in Taipei. There are enough American to have American school(K-12) and Japanese school(K-12). Now, Taiwan is pushing bi-lingual systems. If you or your wife can teach English or ESL, you can make some serious extra income. :)

In regarding to Food wise, you can get good Chinese food over there. However, there are enough American Fast food places, such as KFC, McD. You can also find Pizza Hut and Domino(yes, they deliver on scooter), and Hard Rcok Cafe.

Sports fan - you won't miss Sunday night and Monday night football. I even watch NFL primetime when I went home on Monday morning(+12 hours difference). You can also find an only English speaking radio station - ICRT (http://www.icrt.com.tw/)

You definitely don't want to move your family to Taiwan unless you are on a "expat" package ( which EVA isn't) or your family is ethnic Chinese. Taiwan is not a place to go as a poor First Officer. If you could live in Tien Mu and send your kids to the American School then it's okay, but you wouldn't be able to do that on EVA's salary.

TP

Whats an expat package? Do they only offer commuter schedules? What is the salary range for an F/O at Eva? Is china airlines a better company to work for?

Back