Europe to North Africa in a 172

Ramsey

I'm planning on flying to Morocco from Germany in a 172. Anyone ever flown this route or something similar?

Anything I need to look out for that I might need to know?

I'm looking at flying from Mannheim, Germany down to France and following the southern coast all the way down to North Africa. On the way back I'm thinking about flying the northern side. So far the only thing I have seen as an issue is flying from Spain to Gibraltar - I guess Spain does not recognize Gibraltar so we can't fly there directly from Spain.

I'm looking to do this sometime in September. It'd be cool to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

I couldn't tell you anything about it but man, I hope you plan to take some pictures cause that sounds awesome!

I plan on it! I might even do a website detailing what happens just in case others want to do the same.

I'm planning on flying to Morocco from Germany in a 172. Anyone ever flown this route or something similar?

I'm looking at flying from Mannheim, Germany down to France and following the southern coast all the way down to North Africa. On the way back I'm thinking about flying the northern side. So far the only thing I have seen as an issue is flying from Spain to Gibraltar - I guess Spain does not recognize Gibraltar so we can't fly there directly from Spain.

I'm looking to do this sometime in September. It'd be cool to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Why doesn't Spain recognize Gibraltar?

That trip sounds great either way.

There is small flight school back by my home in southern Spain, Jerez de la Frontera (XRY). It is a owned by a German named Hans, who is a pretty nice guy.
The name of the place is fly-in Spain, and he specializes in adventure type flight training and organizing flying rallies where they fly from Jerez down to Morrocco. I havent had the chance to join him yet, but it is a blast apparently. Might want to give him a call.
http://www.fly-in-spain.com/de/touren/tour_index.php?navid=79

Why doesn't Spain recognize Gibraltar?

That trip sounds great either way.

This is not entirely true. but, ah lets say that it is a sore point...

I would land at Malaga. BTW, the closest point of approach to morroco is not at Gibraltar, but up the road at Tarifa. That would be where I would cross in a single Engine 172. You could easily glide to land.

There is small flight school back by my home in southern Spain, Jerez de la Frontera (XRY). It is a owned by a German named Hans, who is a pretty nice guy.
The name of the place is fly-in Spain, and he specializes in adventure type flight training and organizing flying rallies where they fly from Jerez down to Morrocco. I havent had the chance to join him yet, but it is a blast apparently. Might want to give him a call.
http://www.fly-in-spain.com/de/touren/tour_index.php?navid=79

Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can get in touch with him.

I would land at Malaga. BTW, the closest point of approach to morroco is not at Gibraltar, but up the road at Tarifa. That would be where I would cross in a single Engine 172. You could easily glide to land.

Good tip - we just wanted to stop in Gibraltar because there's a monkey there that owes me some money. :laff:

Just have not decided how far into Morocco we want to go...

You may want to get in touch with Aviation sans Frontieres. My French sucks so I don't know if that's the proper spelling but here's why I suggest it.

At the Paris Air Show a few years ago, they had a booth and they had a C172 in the static display. That C172 had been to Africa from France.

So, if anyone knows how to get to Africa from Europe in a C172, it would be them.

Back