ERAU: Green Flight Challenge

highspeed

From the ERAU Alum fb post:
It looks like the Embry-Riddle team was disqualified from the Green Flight Challenge, but still got to fly. (Details here, http://goo.gl/uHWRr) Congrats to to the winner Pipistrel-USA.com.

From http://goo.gl/uHWRr:
Embry-Riddle entered a two-seat aircraft and contest rules require both seats to be occupied by a person. However, the team only brought one qualified occupant since the university’s flight operations rules do not allow more than one person in university aircraft that is certified in the experimental category. The aircraft also does not have a ballistic chute, which is a contest requirement. GFC officials later ruled that the team will be allowed to compete using ballast in place of a person, but would not be eligible for any prize money.

From me:
How is it that the University didn't read the rules of entry? Forgot to install a BRS? Didn't bring a second person because university rules don't allow it?! Maybe the University would have made an executive-level decision to allow another person in this experimental aircraft had the BRS mitigated the additional risk?!
This makes ERAU look amateur. It's no wonder aviation is where it is.

From the ERAU Alum fb post:
It looks like the Embry-Riddle team was disqualified from the Green Flight Challenge, but still got to fly. (Details here, http://goo.gl/uHWRr) Congrats to to the winner Pipistrel-USA.com.

From http://goo.gl/uHWRr:
Embry-Riddle entered a two-seat aircraft and contest rules require both seats to be occupied by a person. However, the team only brought one qualified occupant since the university’s flight operations rules do not allow more than one person in university aircraft that is certified in the experimental category. The aircraft also does not have a ballistic chute, which is a contest requirement. GFC officials later ruled that the team will be allowed to compete using ballast in place of a person, but would not be eligible for any prize money.

From me:
How is it that the University didn't read the rules of entry? Forgot to install a BRS? Didn't bring a second person because university rules don't allow it?! Maybe the University would have made an executive-level decision to allow another person in this experimental aircraft had the BRS mitigated the additional risk?!
This makes ERAU look amateur. It's no wonder aviation is where it is.

It's because what they call safety is nothing more than a charade. The things that should really get people in trouble there are swept under the rug, while genuine learning experiences are made into crucifixions. I graduated from there and there isn't a chance I would recommend someone to learn to fly there.

It's because what they call safety is nothing more than a charade. The things that should really get people in trouble there are swept under the rug, while genuine learning experiences are made into crucifixions. I graduated from there and there isn't a chance I would recommend someone to learn to fly there.

More worried about the dress-code than if their students can do an emergency landing to literally save their lives? I know how that goes...

I'd be on the fence to recommend Riddle. If they can afford the costs, and are willing to go 100% into some of the extra activities, then it could pay off. I have several buddies who were mainline CO pilots at age 26. I've done pretty well for myself in aviation, not in flying. Maybe we got lucky. Aside from the expense it's what you make of it.

My dig is towards the management of this activity. It's the kind of thing that should have someone fired. Ironically, I had gotten an email asking for a donation as I was reading these stories. They just missed out on a chance at significant money and they start to pass the cup....circular filed.

I'd be on the fence to recommend Riddle. If they can afford the costs, and are willing to go 100% into some of the extra activities, then it could pay off. I have several buddies who were mainline CO pilots at age 26. I've done pretty well for myself in aviation, not in flying. Maybe we got lucky. Aside from the expense it's what you make of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely recommend the academic side of ERAU. Lots of good things happen there, in areas that are limited/non-existent in other schools. It's the flight department that is in the wrong, IMO.

Back