Equipment Suffix

to me terminal capability includes approach and tower. so an RNAV approach will be confined within the approach and/or tower airspace. so if /G deals with en route and terminal capability, what is terminal capability?? is it not the ability to excute an approach to an airport.

i.e. if ur /G u should be able to do any approach
if ur /A u should be able to do ILS, VOR, NDB, etc
if ur /P u should be able to do a TACAN

so back to my question, if an aircraft files /G why can't they do an RNAV approach. the only reason I ask is because our runway that contains the ILS, VOR, LOC BC, NDB was closed. our small runway was still open with a Visual Approach or RNAV approach being the only option. Horizon said they couldn't accept the RNAV and would have to divert if they couldn't do the visual. in fact, they even said they may be restricted from even coming in if there is no alternate approach available other than the visual. what gives??

Could be that they're not authorized to execute RNAV approaches in their Company Operations Specifications. Meaning the FAA has not approved them regardless of a/c capability, or Horizon has not applied for the authorization($$$).

Just a guess though...

Could be that they're not authorized to execute RNAV approaches in their Company Operations Specifications. Meaning the FAA has not approved them regardless of a/c capability, or Horizon has not applied for the authorization($$$).

Just a guess though...

that's what i was thinking it had something to do with. i know little about how an airline company operates. i just, for the life of me, couldn't figure out why they couldn't/wouldn't do it. couldn't find anything in the ATC bible or FAA regs. thanks for the possible explanation.

Back