Enhanced RNAV capable?

av8or91

I was out flying today when the center controller asked a lufthansa pilot if the were"enhanced RNAV capable" The pilot said he had no clue what that was and he was going to check. 10 minutes later he said he still had no clue but thinks his plane is equipped. Anyone know what this is? Im guessing RNP changes to something more precise while enroute.

Where were you flying, and where was he going?

My best guess is P-RNAV, the new standard in Europe.
http://www.ecacnav.com/content.asp?CatID=202

Edit: I've been doing a lot of studying for an upcoming trip. We're flying on the new L-routes in NY Oceanic (WATRS Plus). If you're not RNP10, there are only certain "tracks" that you're eligible to fly. I can't imagine a Lufthansa long haul plane NOT being RNP10 or better, but I guess ATC had to ask.

Oops. My mistake, yes it was advanced RNAV. Some how I confused advanced with enhanced.

I think most RNAV equipped aircraft are actually "Advanced RNAV". Look at these equipment codes:

BASIC RNAV

* /Y LORAN, VOR/DME, or INS with no transponder
* /C LORAN, VOR/DME, or INS, transponder with no Mode C
* /I LORAN, VOR/DME, or INS, transponder with Mode C

ADVANCED RNAV WITH TRANSPONDER AND MODE C

* /E Flight Management System (FMS) with DME/DME and IRU position updating
* /F FMS with DME/DME position updating
* /G Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), including GPS or Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS), with en route and terminal capability.
* /R Required Navigational Performance (RNP). The aircraft meets the RNP type prescribed for the route segment(s), route(s) and/or area concerned.

Back