Employment Questions: OCVT/MFT Results (Color Vision Issues)

Graypilot289

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions I had about having a potential restriction on my medical.

Earlier this year, I failed the color vision portion of my yearly medical exam. I went to a secondary AME who had a FALANT test, did it, and passed. I sent the results of that into the FAA and currently have an unrestricted first class medical certificate. However, at the same time, I also requested permission to take the OCVT/MFT so that I wouldn't have to worry about this in the future. If I were to go to the airlines, I'm not sure how hard it would be to find an AME with the FALANT/Dvorine tests- especially if I had to move around the country.

My questions are as follows.

1) Let's say that I took the OCVT and failed the daytime portion. I would then take the nighttime version and pass, then take the MFT and pass. My medical would read (per this flowchart courtesy of the FAA:https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...uide/media/Color Vision Testing Flowchart.pdf) "Not valid for flight during daytime hours by color signal control." Would an airline or any kind of other commercial operator really care about that as long as I could still legally fly at night?

I have gone to a field and practiced during the day with the tower to see if I can identify the light gun signals and didn't seem to have a problem with it. But since this test is a one shot and done kind of format, it makes me incredibly terrified that something could go wrong. The day is what scares me since it's harder to see the bright light against the sky and sun, which is why I wouldn't have any worries about passing the night version. 2) I have read in some other threads/sites that some people go to an actual eye doctor before a medical exam and take a test with them and then they get a statement from said eye dr that they present to their AME, thereby making them eligible to bypass taking the ishihara with the AME. My question is: is this something you have to do yearly, or is that statement regarding color vision from an actual eye doctor permanent? If so, it seems like a much better option than gambling on the OCVT/MFT.

Thanks for any wisdom or help any of you can give me. I've read a few threads on here about people that have gone through the process, so I'm hoping I can get some input from them as well as others about the employment questions regarding question one.

Also, if this is not appropriate for this section of the forum, I apologize. I figured that since it's related to a potential career in the airlines that it would be okay, but if not, I'll post it in ask a flight surgeon as well.

Thanks everyone.

Hey, this is probably a better question to ask in the medical section of the forum, but I'll see if I can help any.

I had the exact issue that you do and of course I had the same concerns as you. Failed color vision test with AME, went to eye DR and passed alternative test, was still concerned about the future availability of the test and I really wanted to issue to be resolved permanently, so I decided to do the OCVT/MFT.

I was more nervous about this test then anything I had previously been though, and I've been in combat haha. I bought 2 sectional charts covering the entire southeast U.S. as well as a sectional covering Colorado (class E out there is blue shaded area vs. magenta in some areas, but southeast has no blue shaded class E airspace, I wanted to make sure I could see the difference though). I had all of my friends and family and even random co-workers quiz me on every possible color on these charts CONTANTLY. I even hung a chart on my wall at home haha, I was obsessed.

I then went to the local flight school
and sat in both the steam gauge 172 and the glass cockpit 172 and had people ask me the colors, even sat in a citation to do the same thing. (was easy because I was a manager at the airport, but any local FBO will let you do this)

The other thing I did was went to a couple different airports and had them shoot the lights at me several times, one time I did this from 2500' away just to really "make sure." I also rode in the back of a flight school aircraft to see the PAPI lights on final and identify the colors.

I also had people quiiz me on the colors around the airfield during daytime IFR conditions. (Rotating beacon, runway end identifiers, taxiway, 1000' thresholds, even the light on top of the windsock lol).

Needless to say I was really committed to doing anything I could just to prepare, I even quizzed myself on IFR charts just to cover my bases.

So fast forward to the actual test...

Met the examiner at the airport and first thing was going over the sectional. Very simple, he just pointed at different objects and asked the color. Didn't last too long at all.
Next we got into the aircraft and after startup he asked me a few colors on the panel. Took off and headed to the nearest towered airport. On final he asked about the PAPI lights, then asked a few questions about the colors of various signs while taxiing towards the tower. Once parked in line with the tower he had them shine the lights. After the light signals we took off and headed home. While on the way back he asked the color of some roofs, grass, checked to see if I could identify power lines, and a few other terrain features.

After we shut down we went inside the FBO and he asked how I felt about the test, I told him I was more nervous than I could explain jokingly, then he said relax I passed.

Of course now I have a whole different medical problem to get around but the color test is done.

Feel free to PM me if you have ANY questions at all. I know how nervous this can make you so anything I can do to help, I will. Even if I can just help you determine whether this is a good route for you, it's no problem.

That's the kind of response I was looking for. Thanks a ton @lifesbeachy , I've been to a tower already with my instructor in the plane. Didn't seem to have any problem identifying the signals. I don't know what FSDO you did it out, sounds like out west, but the one I'm going to said for the light gun portion, that we were going to go out in their parking lot and an agent would shoot them at me. Not sure if that'll be easier or harder. I'll definitely be sending a PM before I take mine, but for now, thank you very much.

@motoboy
No problem, let me know if you have any questions.

@Graypilot289
No problem, definitely PM with any questions. I did mine in the southeast actually. Sounds like the way your FSDO is going to do it should be pretty easy. If you can, either try and schedule it for an overcast VFR day or real early morning/late afternoon but at a time not considered night. Have you talked with the person that will be administering the test for you? You can PM this, but what FSDO will you be taking this at and where are you located?

The other thing I did was went to a couple different airports and had them shoot the lights at me several times, one time I did this from 2500' away just to really "make sure."
Same problem here and I did this exact same test. I've had an unrestricted 1st class for over a decade.

I have a signed letter from the FSDO I did the test with saying that I'm good to go (never expires). I bring it with me to every medical exam to show my AME. They still make me do the test, but it doesn't matter.

Back