Employment Questions: OCVT/MFT Results (Color Vision Issues) (also posted in "Airline Pilots")

Graypilot289

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions I had about having a potential restriction on my medical.

Earlier this year, I failed the color vision portion of my yearly medical exam. I went to a secondary AME who had a FALANT test, did it, and passed. I sent the results of that into the FAA and currently have an unrestricted first class medical certificate. However, at the same time, I also requested permission to take the OCVT/MFT so that I wouldn't have to worry about this in the future. If I were to go to the airlines, I'm not sure how hard it would be to find an AME with the FALANT/Dvorine tests- especially if I had to move around the country.

My questions are as follows.

1) Let's say that I took the OCVT and failed the daytime portion. I would then take the nighttime version and pass, then take the MFT and pass. My medical would read (per this flowchart courtesy of the FAA:https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...uide/media/Color Vision Testing Flowchart.pdf) "Not valid for flight during daytime hours by color signal control." Would an airline or any kind of other commercial operator really care about that as long as I could still legally fly at night?

I have gone to a field and practiced during the day with the tower to see if I can identify the light gun signals and didn't seem to have a problem with it. But since this test is a one shot and done kind of format, it makes me incredibly terrified that something could go wrong. The day is what scares me since it's harder to see the bright light against the sky and sun, which is why I wouldn't have any worries about passing the night version. 2) I have read in some other threads/sites that some people go to an actual eye doctor before a medical exam and take a test with them and then they get a statement from said eye dr that they present to their AME, thereby making them eligible to bypass taking the ishihara with the AME. My question is: is this something you have to do yearly, or is that statement regarding color vision from an actual eye doctor permanent? If so, it seems like a much better option than gambling on the OCVT/MFT.

Thanks for any wisdom or help any of you can give me. I've read a few threads on here about people that have gone through the process, so I'm hoping I can get some input from them as well as others about the employment questions regarding question one.

Back