Employment contract

Non-competes are very important legal instruments to protect company IP. Although I know you don't understand the importance of IP or think it important, so that's probably part of the issue here.

P.S. Telling me that Commiefornia does something isn't a good way to convince me it's a good idea. ;)

Jimmy John's was forcing its employees to sign non-competes. You going to pretend they're pumping out some incredible IP folding them sandwiches or admit it's being abused? Maybe those Jimmy John's employees were just scamming sandwich IP to make the big bucks as a sandwich artist at one of their competitors, eh?

Do you make the employees at your butt plug and sex toy assembly company also sign non-competes so they don't run off with all that valuable IP you produce daily?

The Company I work for is based in Massachusetts, I'm currently based in Illinois. I've been with the company for under a year and have not received any type ratings or new certificates through the company. The opportunity would provide pay me twice as much as I do now, and would offer my young and growing family stability instead of the possibility of moving every 6 months. And my time on my contract doesn't start until I make Captain, and then the duration is 18 months. I've signed the contract already, or else I would not be employed at this company, but the time frame has not even begun.
What of value did you receive in exchange for signing this contract? Sounds like nothing other than pay. If so, that sounds like indentured servitude.

What if I told you that can be read from both sides of this?
True. I've seen both sides of the issue. Problem is, in most cases, the employer has the power to impose conditions. The applicant is just looking for a job.

Colorado has an interesting compromise position. Only those who are in (real) management positions can be restricted in their later job choices. Covenants against disclosing trade secrets are enforced against all employees.

This has nothing to do with PFT agreements.

I’d figure out what is legal then I would do exactly what is right for your family. Period.
I don’t know ANY company that won’t do what’s in their best interest if it follows law.

Okay, Ayn.
LOL! My first thought too. But the problem is various definitions of "one's own best interest."

Sure, the Ayn definition is "me, Me, ME!" But one can also define it in terms of other things. My best example was a financially conservative Republican county I lived in which regularly voted in favor of property tax increases and, as a result, had one of best school districts in the country. They saw good schools with high graduation rates as in their own best interests.

So far I've only received hours and pay (if you can call it that)
Your barely disguised employer had to block your seat (a loss of revenue, as they can sell it) for you to do that. And once you’re done with that they expect you to upgrade and provide honest to goodness useful labor. Which is why that contract exists. Or so the rationale goes.

Not saying I like it, just now it be.

And guess how much an employer likes a sheriff’s deputy walking into their office to serve a garnishment order? Not a good way to make your new employer like you while you’re on probation.

BTW, one piece of real advice. Dunno if you are using your real name but it's a bad idea to discuss stuff like this in detail on social media.
MidlifeFlyer is on point here. I was in some litigation about five years ago and the first thing the defence counsel did was demand all of my social media account information. Coincidentally I had scrubbed and deleted my "MySpace" and "Facebook" accounts about several months before we filed suit.

Back