Employment Contract (Airline Furlough Edition)

BCTAv8r

I know we already have a thread about employment contracts here but this situation appears to be somewhat different so I thought I'd create a new thread. Let's say someone has most of a two year training/bonus contract left with a regional airline, and that regional airline has announced it will be closing by the end of the year (gee wonder which one that is?), would the person be bound to the contract until the last day or can the contract be broken earlier since the company will no longer be around for the time frame in the contract?

If the company is no longer around will they be able to come after your money?

Funny enough. The company recently sent out another memo with the following options:

1. Quit now and owe everything
2. Go to anther airline under the same holding company and use the new bonus to pay them off (what they have been trying to push)
3. Generously offering that we only have to pay a pro-rated amount after the company closes and we're sent packing :rolleyes:

Just leave.

TSH's lawyer insisted blowing a slide on a taxiway should reset the DOT clock.

Run actually.
I don't often agree with superpilot above there, but GTFO of TSH, what the heck are you doing to yourself?

2. Go to anther airline under the same holding company and use the new bonus to pay them off (what they have been trying to push)
3. Generously offering that we only have to pay a pro-rated amount after the company closes and we're sent packing
Wow, what a bunch of • lords; like, @SlumTodd_Millionaire levels of • lord.

(1) is garbage, (2) is ugh and (3) is reprehensible. What's TSH ALPA say?

Funny enough. The company recently sent out another memo with the following options:

3. Generously offering that we only have to pay a pro-rated amount after the company closes and we're sent packing :rolleyes:

Damn, that's beyond bad. I didn't realize there were training contracts in the regionals and I don't see how they could enforce them when they no longer exist and are able to pay you for the job they hired you for, but perhaps in some states or jurisdictions they can get away with that garbage. I'm guessing it's pro-rated?

Damn, that's beyond bad. I didn't realize there were training contracts in the regionals and I don't see how they could enforce them when they no longer exist and are able to pay you for the job they hired you for, but perhaps in some states or jurisdictions they can get away with that garbage. I'm guessing it's pro-rated?

Pro-rated only after being laid off. Otherwise full amount.

Pro-rated only after being laid off. Otherwise full amount.

That's insane and I wonder how enforceable it is when they're no longer in business and willing to pay you. Hopefully you and a few other pilots in a similar position can pitch in to talk to a good lawyer.

Well at least the laws he's talking about don't apply. Question though, which laws apply?

A lot of them, actually. Which laws specifically are you thinking that don’t apply?

This part really bothers me. I find it hard to believe the Collective Bargaining Agreement does not apply. I might ask an attorney to review the CBA

Bonus agreements are typically entered into pre-employment, so they aren’t CBAs and the union has no ability to enforce them.

Back