Employer requesting a copy of the special issuance letter.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
A former student of mine made it to an airline a couple years ago, but they had medical event occur and went out on leave. Now, all the medical stuff is resolved, and a special issuance received but their employer's records/ training coordinator asked for a copy of the new medical AND the special issuance letter that goes with it. My student is under the impression that they only need to provide the medical for a condition of employment and is hesitant to provide any more medical records than necessary to the employer.

Is it standard practice to provide the special issuance letter to the employer or are they out of line asking for it?

I'm not sure about your question but reading the scenario, if there is nothing to hide in the special issuance letter, I'd go ahead and provide it. Path of least resistance sort of thing.

In the case of a SODA it is physically attached to the medical.

So you wouldn’t get the medical without the SI part. They are the medical.

In the case of a SODA it is physically attached to the medical.

So you wouldn’t get the medical without the SI part. They are the medical.

In this case, it isn’t a SODA. Let’s presume the letter says special issuance granted for early onset Scoliosis and as long as the airman continues doing Birkram Yoga, their medical is valid. That’s obviously not their condition and treatment plan, but for the sake of conversation, let’s run with it.

My student is worried that such knowledge could be used against them in the future. Even though any action would be protected under EEO/ discrimination, but they seem to have a concern over this.

What does the actual medical say under limitations or any sort of non-normal terminology on the medical itself?

“Not valid for any class after 2/31/2025.”

Hmm, let me see if my own employers FOM has any guidance on this. And even if they do, it’s carrier-specific and may not apply to your situation in any form.

At our company, they can request a copy of a Special Issuance and medical records under particular contractual stipulations.

I’m not going to break out the stipulations because they wouldn’t apply in this case because they’re company/union-specific.

At our company, they can request a copy of a Special Issuance and medical records under particular contractual stipulations.

I’m not going to break out the stipulations because they wouldn’t apply in this case because they’re company/union-specific.
That little spot on the map marked 'here be dragons.'

Back