Eeessh!

MarkE

Murrrrrph!
Found this just browsing through youtube. Guy gets into a flat spin, looses his engine, recovers to a dead stick landing in a field. Complete with barbed wire fence.

[YT]bvbS-oHi9ro&feature=related[/YT]

The spin was supposed to be a normal erect spin to the right, but for various unintentional reasons the spin went flat, up until that point I had never flat spun an aircraft. I eventualy mananged to get the aircraft into a normal erect spin from which I was able to recover. This aircraft is not fitted with an electric starter motor, so I was unable to restart the engine. During the "flare" to land the main undercarriage caught the top wires of a barbed wire fence that was invisible to me. After coming to rest inverted I waited 20mins for the rescue services to come and right the aircraft so I was able to exit via the outward opening canopy. The aircraft rotated 26 times total, I was extremely dissorientated after the recovery to straight and level flight, and was unable to read the instruments. From the video I estimate I recovered at about 700ft from an entry altitude of 3500ft. If you listen carefully you will hear me say:"I think this is it". At that stage I did not think I would be able to recover. However I continued to try various control inputs based on the aircraft attitude and rotational rate, which eventually effected a recovery.
My thanks go to the emergency services that found me and allowed my escape.

I wonder if he has since invested in a good electric starter. :p

Looks like it fared well...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• G-AZBA6.jpg
    G-AZBA6.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 280
  • oncs.jpg
    oncs.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 286
wow. :drool:

i was gonna go out and run through a few stalls today since its been a while.... but after seeing this i think i'll just take a nice trip around the city at 10,000 feet.

Wow, after that many spins, to be able to even think is amazing. To recover and put it down is incredible.

How does an airplane start to flat spin and how do you recover? I know for a normal spin, which I assume that is was an "erect spin" is, you simply neutralize the yoke and opposite rudder. If you are spinning flat, rudder wont really help to much will it?

Back