Edinburgh, Scotland

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
This is not a sunrise. It's actually ice crystals in the upper atmosphere that are near the polar region that glow. I can't remember the specific name of the phenomenon:
IMG_2415.jpg

Sunrise over the Atlantic
IMG_2418.jpg

Some hilarious graffiti in a 757ER:
IMG_2429.jpg

Probably one of the worst pictures I've taken in a while. Chillin' at the hotel before painting Edinburgh red:
IMG_2446.jpg

Cruising the streets:
IMG_2447.jpg

Castle up the hill:
IMG_2449.JPG

Shops 'n such:
IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

Church at the bottom of "The Royal Mile" or whatever it's called, I can't remember:
IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

Streets of EDI:
IMG_2457.JPG

I dunno. Just a funny expression! We were having cocktails at a bar that commemorates Deacon William Brodie (whose real-life story was the motivation for the book "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde")
IMG_2459.JPG

A mural on the backside of the pub:
IMG_2460.JPG

Ehh, no comment!
IMG_2461.JPG

And then it starts to rain...
IMG_2462.JPG

Painting at the restaurant a few of us ate at:
IMG_2463.JPG

Sorry man, I'm not eating any haggis, neeps and tatties... :)
IMG_2465.JPG

Doug said he didn't have too much fun on this flight because there was no eye candy for him....

that being said, he also said that this is a location of mostly ALL straight guys that apparently love to talk to american women....

ladies...how bout a trip to EDI soon??? :D

That's the best city in the UK, hands down.

Looks like they're setting up for the Tattoo up there at the castle. If you ever get the chance to spend New Years up there, Hogmanay is one of the most amazing street parties outside of Carneval and Mardi Gras -- it's just a lot colder and darker.

By the way, St Giles isn't the "bottom" of the Royal Mile...it's the middle. In fact, on the bricks out in front of the church are "the Heart of Midlothian". The east end of the Mile (the actual 'bottom end') is Holyrood House and Abbey.

Hands down Edinburgh is my favorite UK city. Next time you go, near the entrance to the castle there is a hotel called the " Witchery", and the restaurant there is fantastic. I think it is called the Secret garden.

I was there in 2006 The city is awesome. We did go through the Castle, and at first I was little hesitant to pay 20 pounds to see it, but the views are well worth it. The other two good places for views are Observatory Hill (the hill to the east of the city with a big tower like thing on it, and Arther's Seat, which is the strange square looking hill/mountain farther to the east.

I spent some time in Glasgow too, and if (ok, when) I go back, I'd almost skip GLA and just spend the time in Edinburgh.

Its called an Aurora!;)

Indeed, the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights (Aurora Australis in the Southern hemisphere). It's actually caused by charged particles in the solar wind being trapped by the earth's magnetic field and colliding with particles in the upper atmosphere. Different particles result in different colours. ;)

I dunno. Just a funny expression! We were having cocktails at a bar that commemorates Deacon William Brodie (whose real-life story was the motivation for the book "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde")

My wifes maiden name is Brodie. She is also a Scott. This explains the mood changes.

Used to go Christmas Shopping in the "Burgh" back in '96 when I was based in Rosyth at the submarine dismantling yard. Great city and lots of good folk.

There are lots of other really great places nearby too, such as Stirling (great university town with great restaurants and pubs - lots of history too)

Scotland is a fantastic place to explore - some of the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen.

FYI - neeps and tatties are good for you and will put hairs on ye chest, laddie! (Don't know bout the haggis though - euuuuwwww!)

This is not a sunrise. It's actually ice crystals in the upper atmosphere that are near the polar region that glow. I can't remember the specific name of the phenomenon:
IMG_2415.jpg

Yep, definitely noctilucent clouds. Saw a few of those between 30W and 20W and around 57N on NWA 68 last month. Nice shots.

Back