Eastern Shore Maryland Tour

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Beautiful day yesterday, so I decided to take a break from studying IR stuff and took the wife on a scenic flight...picked up the plane at JYO and headed out to the shore via the VFR flyway that runs between the DC FRZ and the south side of BWI.

IMG_0467-M.jpg

Climbing out of KESN near sunset...

IMG_0323-M.jpg

Ever notice that trees lined up that way can look like approach lighting?

IMG_0531-M.jpg

Heading back across the river, asking Potomac for a Bravo clearance and being denied....again...

IMG_0573-M.jpg

Bay Bridge. That's US 50. Kent on the right. There's a little grass field down there at Kentmorr where they reportedly have excellent crab cakes. Haven't been there yet.

IMG_0260-L.jpg

Not sure if container or tanker, but heading toward Baltimore. Made me think of the Patapsco river and season 2 of The Wire....

IMG_0604-M.jpg

It's so hard to get time, money and weather all together in the same place these days to really appreciate flying in a sky like that. I am grateful.

IMG_0677-L.jpg

Wife playing with her camera. I thought it was a cool shot.

All shots with a Canon 6D with a 50mm 1.4 lens. (She had to spell all that out for me. I don't know anything about cameras.)

Last edited:
Nice shots. I did a little bit of flying out of W00, and remember the PITA it was to operate near the ADIZ.

Thanks!

They've got the procedures pretty hammered out, and the training for it is fairly straightforward. You just have to pay attention and follow the rules - which aren't any more restrictive than any other busy terminal environment, and you're fine.

The only really....annoying part, I guess...is now that if you fly out of Hyde, College Park or Potomac, you have to have a specialized SFRA flight plan which is different from standard SFRA flight plans. And it requires you to be fingerprinted and go through a TSA background check. This is mainly because of the proximity to DC.

I've already been fingerprinted and background-checked by the TSA once this year, but apparently I have to do it again for this process - that's part of the reason I've been renting from JYO, but training at VKX - because I don't have the PIN yet to file as PIC from VKX.

Very nice thanks for sharing. Kentmorr actually has a great grass runway. Wide enough and long. Speaking of clearance to MD3 it is a PITA. Took me almost 3 months to receive secret pin. Now I don't want to go there :)

Nice picture!

Yeah, I hear it takes a while to get the MD3 PIN. We'll see how long it takes me. The nice part is that with that process at VKX you also get to join the fuel club, which lets you buy 100LL at wholesale prices. Cheapest avgas I have ever seen.

Let me know when you're out here again!

Great pictures. This April will mark ten years since I last flew through the flyway when I surprised my wife for her birthday with a flight to Bay Bridge Airport for dinner at Hemmingways. I usually circumvent Bravo to the north when flying to DE to visit family.

Back