Eagle Gouge

J Cole

I gave the following gouge to someone in a PM. I thought it may be helpful to make it publicly available.

First, I can say that the gouges on willflyforfood are spot on. I was one of three applicants to show up when the interview began at about 0800. As you can see from my profile, I've been a CFI for 3 years. My fellow applicants were a Nigerian who had nationalized with CFI/Twin Otter experience and a former Comair pilot. I don't know what the exact problem was, but the Comair pilot was sent home very early due to paperwork problems. The interview was broken into two parts: an FTD ride and a technical/HR interview.

I volunteered to hop on the FTD first. The device itself is a Frasca Baron with 180 degree wrap around visuals and a G1000. Like any Frasca FTD it is very sensitive, especially on the rudders. If you keep your feet on the rudders, use a very light touch, and you'd be fine to just keep your feet on the floor after takeoff. You are not expected to know how to work a G1000 and the approaches are all flown with raw data (no GPS/loading the approach). They also take away the moving map. Almost all my hours are in a G1000 and we have an twin G1000 FTD, so I was pretty comfortable with the scan and sensitivity, but you may benefit from a little practice in a G1000 FTD if you can get it. Oh, the FTD also has a flight director - you will fly one approach with it and one without. Eagle will email you a study packet with profiles and callouts - know this perfectly. The actual flight was as follows: a hold, the ILS 36L KDFW, and VOR/DME 13 KDFW (they clearly change which approaches they do each time - but expect a precision and a non-precision). The approaches were done via radar vectors. I did all the duties of the pilot flying, except that I also worked the radios. The interviewer will sit in the right seat and perform the pilot monitoring duties. Give him the controls while you figure out the hold entry and while you brief the approaches. At one point "ATC" had me fly 180 knots before an approach (faster than flap/gear extension speeds) so I had to make sure to request 160 knots before joining the FAC. I think I busted altitude once and nearly messed up the hold entry, but overall felt pretty good about the simulator ride.

Next up was the technical/HR interview. It began with questions from the study packet and then moved into IFR stuff. The captain interviewing me had me decode a METAR and a TAF and included questions like "could we fly this approach with this weather?" and "what will the weather be like when we arrive?" We then went through a KDFW airport diagram, a DP, a low enroute charts, an arrival, and an approach plate (ILS 36L I think). The airport diagram included questions about which frequency I would call from where as well as identifying which ALS a runway had. The DP had questions about initial altitude/heading and frequencies. The low enroute chart had questions on MEAs, MOCAs, MORAs, victor airways, GPS waypoints, and airspace. The arrival had questions about crossing restrictions and how exactly I would fly it. The approach included questions about when we could continue the approach if the weather got worse, where the FAF was, approach minimums, and briefing the approach. I was also asked about crew rest times and when filing an alternate is required. I know I'm missing some of the technical stuff - it's been almost two months. Next was a scenario based question - mine was something like "you're flying in cruise with a very senior captain and you notice he is slumped over. You try and shake him awake but he doesn't respond - what do you do?" Finally, I was asked the standard line up of HR questions: tell me about a time you..., tell me about how you demonstrate leadership in your current position?, why should eagle hire you? etc.

Since there were just two of us, we were both finished by lunch. They provided us with a meal voucher and sent us to the cafeteria. After lunch, someone came to the holding tank and asked my companion to grab his stuff and come with him - didn't see him again (his sim ride went poorly). I was given a "pre-offer" after this.

I prepared using interview gouges, writing out my own answers to the HR questions, flying our school's FTD, and reading/studying the "Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot" book. The book was indispensable. Make sure your paperwork is perfect.

Feel free to ask any questions below!

A few more things for those interested in Eagle:
1. The bonus check is legit. You get a check handed to you on the first day of training. It is post tax; mine was closer to $3300 than $5K, but I'll probably get that back next year. There is a rumor that this will increase to $10K, but I have heard nothing official about this and believe it to be just a rumor.
2. Eagle is definitely in need of pilots. I think many are hesitant to apply because things look iffy with the bankruptcy and the merger. I am cautiously optimistic, but I think the future here at Eagle is good. Flow throughs to AA are starting in a few weeks and Eagle is still looking to hire another 500 or so pilots this year. I spoke with an AA 777 check airman who is involved with recruitment who told me that AA may start hiring off the street summer of next year (i.e. they expect to dry up the supply of Eagle pilots who can flow-through).

Very good! I hope that you enjoy it. I won't be back till the 27th. I'll make sure to try and find you.

I know this thread is old, but thought I would add my experience in case it can help anybody out. Feel free to PM with questions.

I showed up at 745 and checked in with security. Based on the number of badges, it looks like they were expecting 8-10 people. Only four of us showed. We were taken back and briefed on how the day would unfold. They tried to make us feel comfortable. They said they liked us on paper and brought us in because they want to hire us. He also said from his perspective, the pilot shortage it not a myth. That they are having a hard time finding enough pilots. We surrendered our logbooks and applications. They were taken to another room to be reviewed. One guy was asked to leave, I am assuming his paperwork was not all in order, I think he may have been missing a logbook. I have 4400 hours, all in a paper log.

One guy was called for the interview, the other for the sim. That left me alone to do a little studying. I then did the HR/Tech interview which is combined into a single event. There will be two pilots, one will ask HR questions, the other Tech questions. At this time they will go over your remaining paperwork. I had a couple of small errors in mine which I was asked to correct. I mention this because they give you a lot of paperwork, and it is important to have it done correctly, but it does not have to be perfect. If there is a typo or you skip a box, they will not kick you out for that alone.

Did the tech first. No surprises, just as was previously posted. Limitations for the BE58 that they sent you. Decode metar/taf. Alternate, second alternate. T/O RVR mins. Frequencies from airport diagram. DP, enroute, STAR, Appch chart questions. Nothing that had not been previously mentioned here. Ended with the question you are at FL350 and you notice the captain has passed out, what do you do. They wanted to hear me say, I would put on my O2 mask first, then his.

Then we moved on to the HR questions. Only a handful. What would you change about yourself? TMAAT you had to make a difficult decision as a pilot. Why eagle? Why should Eagle hire you? I was asked what aircraft Eagle flies and what the crew domiciles are. Nothing too painful.

Went back to the holding room for 10 minutes or so. They did the Sim. They give a nice briefing and there are no surprised. I was told how pitchy the sim was but I did not think it was that bad. I have flown frascas that are a lot more sensitive. You will not have to touch anything but the throttle and toke. The PNF (examiner) will take care of everything else, just ask. Departed 36L twy heading to 3000. A couple of vectors, intercept a radial, hold. After briefing the holding entry, was given vectors to VOR appch, raw data. Missed off of that rwy heading, then vectors ILS with flight director. Use a light touch on the yoke, and fly the power settings that are provided and you will do fine.

Went back to the room, sat for 10 minutes before I was taken to another room where I received my pre-offer letter.

I thought the interview was very fair and although you need to be prepared, it was not as difficult as I expected. Everybody there is very professional but they also try to put you at ease. I stumbled over my words several times from nervousness, but I am sure they understand the situation. Since there were only three of us, I was done and walking out of the building at 11am. Overall a very good experience.

Takeaways:
  1. Paperwork is important, but does not have to be perfect.
  2. The interview is rigorous, but not quite as bad as everybody makes it seem.
  3. You do not have to answer all the questions perfect, they want to see a solid foundation though

I'm not even remotely close to having the qualifications to apply to a regional, but I wonder.... How did those of you who were hired make yourselves ready for the interview? Did you already know mostly what to await out of the process before you began the interview?

I'm not even remotely close to having the qualifications to apply to a regional, but I wonder.... How did those of you who were hired make yourselves ready for the interview? Did you already know mostly what to await out of the process before you began the interview?
I sought out current and former airline pilots, especially those in the regionals and picked their brains about the lifestyle, interviews, flying, etc. I also got my hands on a copy of Everything Explained for the Commercial Pilot (which I mentioned above), read through it, and made lots of notes. I read any and all gouges I could get my hands on and created my own "study guide" from the book notes and what the gouges said I should expect. I also took advantage of free time on our school's FTD and multiengine airplane to practice my instrument skills (especially just flying "green needles").
I felt prepared and comfortable for my interview when I went - so I was really glad that I prepared as much as I did. That said, the interviewers are not out to "get you". They were very friendly and want you to do well. Just show them you know what you're talking about and that you can fly on instruments.
I guess my main advice would be this: if you want to be an airline pilot, take it seriously and create an organized and meticulous way to prepare for an interview that works for you, but don't stress too much over the details. They are looking for someone who can handle the training program but also for someone who they wouldn't mind flying on a four day trip with.

^ This

Interviewed with Eagle at the beginning of June. "Everything explained to the professional Pilot" and knowing jeppesen is key. They are really nice and try to help. Make sure your logbook is spot on, no missing endorsements

^ This

Interviewed with Eagle at the beginning of June. "Everything explained to the professional Pilot" and knowing jeppesen is key. They are really nice and try to help. Make sure your logbook is spot on, no missing endorsements

So they asked everything in that 400 page book? Musta been a long interview!

No way I could, for sure. I try and read a page or two of it every day just to keep the coals warm while I'm at my desk job, and I would fail such an interview miserably right now.

So they asked everything in that 400 page book? Musta been a long interview!

Well, the print is so big, and the graphics repeat the text, and there are plenty of unnecessary anecdotes. It could probably be condensed down to 20 pages without leaving out much.

Hey there guys, I have a interview with American Eagle coming up and I would like some clarification on the paperwork/application as I know most people get sent home for incorrect or paperwork issues. I am coming from a Part 121 and flew in a LEVEL D FULL MOTION SIM for my initial and recurrent training. I was one of those unlucky FOs that was short on the 1500TT and due to the sim experience, I was told that I could log my SIM time towards my ATP 1500TT requirement. Now with that being said as of right now I have exactly 1500TT which includes 40 hrs of that LEVEL D SIM from my recent airline. The Eagle pre-interview packet and this is where you most recent guys who got hired can help me out, there are 2 tables in the PRE-INTERVIEW packet and the first one is a FLIGHT TIME GRID SHEET which looks like a 8710 almost and it says list your flight times and do not include your SIM time in the TT column since there is a separate column for the SIM. So I put 1460 in the TT and 40 in the SIM column. Now the next page in that packet is a FLIGHT TIME QUALIFICATIONS PAGE which has another time table that must be filled out I believe Total Flight Time, MEL TIME, X/C TIME, etc but there is no SIM TIME COLUMN on the second sheet. So would I still put 1460 in the Total Flight Time or since there is no column for SIM i would include the SIM and put 1500Total Flight Time in that. I do not want to be sent home for a stupid error like this so any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hey there guys, I have a interview with American Eagle coming up and I would like some clarification on the paperwork/application as I know most people get sent home for incorrect or paperwork issues. I am coming from a Part 121 and flew in a LEVEL D FULL MOTION SIM for my initial and recurrent training. I was one of those unlucky FOs that was short on the 1500TT and due to the sim experience, I was told that I could log my SIM time towards my ATP 1500TT requirement. Now with that being said as of right now I have exactly 1500TT which includes 40 hrs of that LEVEL D SIM from my recent airline. The Eagle pre-interview packet and this is where you most recent guys who got hired can help me out, there are 2 tables in the PRE-INTERVIEW packet and the first one is a FLIGHT TIME GRID SHEET which looks like a 8710 almost and it says list your flight times and do not include your SIM time in the TT column since there is a separate column for the SIM. So I put 1460 in the TT and 40 in the SIM column. Now the next page in that packet is a FLIGHT TIME QUALIFICATIONS PAGE which has another time table that must be filled out I believe Total Flight Time, MEL TIME, X/C TIME, etc but there is no SIM TIME COLUMN on the second sheet. So would I still put 1460 in the Total Flight Time or since there is no column for SIM i would include the SIM and put 1500Total Flight Time in that. I do not want to be sent home for a stupid error like this so any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.
Well, I'm not sure myself, but I would recommend calling an eagle recruiter. They're typically very helpful. If you don't have any of their numbers, I might be able to PM you something.

Don't know specifically about Eagle, but I am currently an SIC at FlightSafety. I was told by our Director of Standards that per the FARs, up to the first 100 hours of Level D time may be used towards the 1500 total time requirement for the ATP. All Level D time may be used in totality towards all other log book columns (multi, night, etc.). I agree, however that a call to an Eagle Recruiter would be a quarter well spent. Good luck. About to throw my hat into that ring as well.

Back