E6B On Your Practical Exam

M20B_pilot

I was wondering about using an E6B flight computer on the flight planning portion of the practical. I have one of the metal Jepp ones and learned it when getting my private ticket. I now have the Sporty's E6B app for my iPhone and the iPad and it's so much easier to use. Would an examiner let me use that app during the test? I'm getting into the navigation portion of the course and I'll just use the manual E6B throughout the course if I need to to brush up on how to use it. Thanks!

I would assume no phones are to be used during your exam. I would brush up just so you don't have to deal with finding out you cant use a computer.

M20B_pilot said:
I was wondering about using an E6B flight computer on the flight planning portion of the practical. I have one of the metal Jepp ones and learned it when getting my private ticket. I now have the Sporty's E6B app for my iPhone and the iPad and it's so much easier to use. Would an examiner let me use that app during the test? I'm getting into the navigation portion of the course and I'll just use the manual E6B throughout the course if I need to to brush up on how to use it. Thanks!

No you won't use an E6B but at Jepp a flight computer was included wit our books and we used that.

I meant to say an electronic flight computer/calculator combo is what we used. Much easier and quicker than the good ol' E6B. :)

Ok, thanks for the replies. I actually got to use my iphone app instead of the mechanical E6B on my private pilot practical. The DPE said he didn't care which I used as long as I knew how to use one or the other. I'll brush up on the use of the old slide ruler but still ask the examiner if I can use the other one. You never know...

I highly doubt they will let you use the app because we weren't allowed to have our phones. It's an opportunity for someone to cheat.

Back