DWI and ATC

b.hart

I got a DWI approx 1.5 years ago. Would this prevent me from getting hired by the FAA as an air traffic controller? Thanks.

I cant give you a definite answer, but you have to consider this...there will be plenty of people vying for a controllers position who have squeaky clean backgrounds. Sure, some of these folks possibly couldn't keep water separated from oil let alone keeping flying tubes of aluminum separated. But, many will have high ATSAT scores, do well in their interview, and have good qualifications. If you were the hiring manager, what would be your choice out of the two? But, perhaps there is some room for "second chances". DWI is a hard background blemish to overlook because of high ATSAT scores, or promising ability of the applicant. Nothing like a history of being fired at a job, because your sales performance was unsatisfactory. I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer, and wish you the best of luck. My suggestion is to show how you have learned from your mistakes, and what you have done to remedy them. Volunteer for MADD or other organizations that are associated with victims of DWI. It would really show your character, and you could get a great reference letter if you are determined. I wish all the best luck to you man, keep us updated on what you find out. And remember, I'm just another guy on here wanting to be a controller. My advice is by no means gospel. But, I would heed my suggestion about volunteering-->and doing it on your own free will, not under orders from a magistrate. Good luck man! :)

I'm gonna go with yes also. I think it's too recent of an offense. Theres nothing wrong with trying dont get me wrong, but for other types of jobs they want 5 years + between the incident.

One of my CTI instructors said any DUI/DWI on your record will be disqualifying. She was a controller in the air force in Berlin for many years, but she never worked in the states. She could be wrong. Also, one of my former classmates who's dad is a controller at ZMP said his dad has seen a controller get terminated immediately after getting a DUI. It wasn't a new controller either.

I COULD BE WRONG, but it's been my understanding that ANY dui/dwi means you will never be a controller. Again, that's just my understanding which could be incorrect. I just remember on my first day of CTI class they were like "does anyone have a DUI? If so, get up and leave right now. We don't want you to waste your time/money on this program." Please don't take my word for it though.

You never know until you try...

The longer it has been without infractions, the better. If you are 25, got a DWI when you were 21, and have not had even a speeding ticket since then, you can always let them know you used to be immature and learned your lesson. This will only really work if you have learned your lesson, and worked to change yourself. As for disqualifying, I cant speak on that but I know they give "special circumstances" for things like past drug and alcohol abuse. Personally I would rather have someone who got a DWI 5 years ago controlling than someone who was addicted to meth since they were 14 and cleaned up a year ago...

My $.02

You never know until you try...

The longer it has been without infractions, the better. If you are 25, got a DWI when you were 21, and have not had even a speeding ticket since then, you can always let them know you used to be immature and learned your lesson. This will only really work if you have learned your lesson, and worked to change yourself. As for disqualifying, I cant speak on that but I know they give "special circumstances" for things like past drug and alcohol abuse. Personally I would rather have someone who got a DWI 5 years ago controlling than someone who was addicted to meth since they were 14 and cleaned up a year ago...

My $.02

Right, or i'd rather have someone who was clean, and had a spotless record since the get go....

Right, or i'd rather have someone who was clean, and had a spotless record since the get go....

Right, wouldnt that just be a damn perfect world... But hey, if you never made the wrong choice, or said something you shouldnt, I guess youre just perfect. I have never had anything like this, I think drugs are retarded, and despise people who drink and drive, but really, should choices that we make like this when we're young hang over our head for the rest of our lives. Like I said though, if you have never done anything wrong, youre just perfect.

My .02

I got a DWI approx 1.5 years ago. Would this prevent me from getting hired by the FAA as an air traffic controller? Thanks.

No it wont, I have a friend with 2 DUI's and he is in training down here. Every one makes mistakes and as long as you don't make them when you get to OKC or to your facility you'll be okay.

Right, wouldnt that just be a damn perfect world... But hey, if you never made the wrong choice, or said something you shouldnt, I guess youre just perfect. I have never had anything like this, I think drugs are retarded, and despise people who drink and drive, but really, should choices that we make like this when we're young hang over our head for the rest of our lives. Like I said though, if you have never done anything wrong, youre just perfect.

My .02

I'm not the judgement caller here, sorry.

I'm just letting it be known, that if they have 2 applicants, completely the same qualifications, one has a DUI/DWI and one doesnt, the one that DOESNT will get hired.

I do hiring at our place of business, and i tend not to hire anyone with a background. Call it shady, but with all the applications i have, i have the right to be picky.

And i'm gonna say this applies to most jobs, if theres a lot of applications in, it's just one more notch in the belt for you...

And as i said, i never thought it should hang over your heads for the rest of your lives if it was something foolish while young (sometimes i do though i.e. murder) but 1.5 years i dont think is enough time. However, i'm not the FAA, i still encourage the OP to apply!

No it wont, I have a friend with 2 DUI's and he is in training down here. Every one makes mistakes and as long as you don't make them when you get to OKC or to your facility you'll be okay.

And OUCH, 2 DUI's?

Really, that actually makes me shun.....:confused:

I'm not the judgement caller here, sorry.

I'm just letting it be known, that if they have 2 applicants, completely the same qualifications, one has a DUI/DWI and one doesnt, the one that DOESNT will get hired.

I do hiring at our place of business, and i tend not to hire anyone with a background. Call it shady, but with all the applications i have, i have the right to be picky.

And i'm gonna say this applies to most jobs, if theres a lot of applications in, it's just one more notch in the belt for you...

And as i said, i never thought it should hang over your heads for the rest of your lives if it was something foolish while young (sometimes i do though i.e. murder) but 1.5 years i dont think is enough time. However, i'm not the FAA, i still encourage the OP to apply!
The FAA doesn't do hiring like most businesses. I don't believe the panels see that sort of history. I don't think you have to disclose those DUI/DWI charges until you do your background investigation, which is AFTER the panels meet. And since the background people operate on a pass/fail system they don't do any "ranking" of applicants above or below anyone else.

The FAA doesn't do hiring like most businesses. I don't believe the panels see that sort of history. I don't think you have to disclose those DUI/DWI charges until you do your background investigation, which is AFTER the panels meet. And since the background people operate on a pass/fail system they don't do any "ranking" of applicants above or below anyone else.

So what makes you think that a DUI/DWI wont be grounds for a fail? The way i've understood how government jobs work is the background investigators have VERY little scope on what their limits are for passing/disqualifying someone.

So what makes you think that a DUI/DWI wont be grounds for a fail? The way i've understood how government jobs work is the background investigators have VERY little scope on what their limits are for passing/disqualifying someone.
I never said it wouldn't be. And you are incorrect, sir. The investigators have quite a bit of regulation when it comes to security clearances. The OPM has strict guidelines.

I never said it wouldn't be. And you are incorrect, sir. The investigators have quite a bit of regulation when it comes to security clearances. The OPM has strict guidelines.

Well that's good to know.

Learn something new everyday!:rawk:Thanks for clearing it up!

Hey man, don't let this DUI get you down, people are a little mistaken when they say, they will hire someone else without a DUI if it comes down to you and the other person.

Once you get selected by a panel and receive a tentative offer you are no longer in competition with others and they don't know your background before the tentative offer so you will then will be solely based on the merits of your own background and not someone else’s who has a cleaner one.

Once you get to a PEPC or interview you are not competing against a pool of applicants anymore because you have already been selected. If you get to a PEPC or interview you will be ok with a DUI man, just don’t get another one and don’t let anyone discourage you based on that single fact alone.
:nana2::nana2:

I understand that there are people at OKC with DUI's under their belt, and there are controllers that have DUI's, but i'm REALLY questioning his recency of the DUI to his chances. Just because you go to a PEPC doesnt mean that you guaranteed have the job. You submit your information there for background (correct me if i'm wrong) and if they have a guideline about not having a DUI for at least 3 years, he may be out of luck.

I think the key word here is TENTATIVE offer and not FINAL (FIRM) offer.

I'm not saying to rain on his parade, but lets be realistic ALL the way around. 1 1/2 years is fairly recent....

Hey man, don't let this DUI get you down, people are a little mistaken when they say, they will hire someone else without a DUI if it comes down to you and the other person.

Once you get selected by a panel and receive a tentative offer you are no longer in competition with others and they don't know your background before the tentative offer so you will then will be solely based on the merits of your own background and not someone else’s who has a cleaner one.

Once you get to a PEPC or interview you are not competing against a pool of applicants anymore because you have already been selected. If you get to a PEPC or interview you will be ok with a DUI man, just don’t get another one and don’t let anyone discourage you based on that single fact alone.
:nana2::nana2:

I understand that there are people at OKC with DUI's under their belt, and there are controllers that have DUI's, but i'm REALLY questioning his recency of the DUI to his chances. Just because you go to a PEPC doesnt mean that you guaranteed have the job. You submit your information there for background (correct me if i'm wrong) and if they have a guideline about not having a DUI for at least 3 years, he may be out of luck.

I think the key word here is TENTATIVE offer and not FINAL (FIRM) offer.

I'm not saying to rain on his parade, but lets be realistic ALL the way around. 1 1/2 years is fairly recent....

:yeahthat: Exactly, Bigey

bigshawnie - I see where you're coming from, but there have been people who have made it to OKC, have already started classes, and have been let go of because of something on their security or medical. When you get to OKC, your clearances are still tentative, so even sitting in class in OKC isn't a guarantee that you have the job yet.

Back