DWI and ATC

I agree that by no means is a TOL a guaranteed job with A DUI 1.5 years ago, but you shouldn’t be discouraged and should apply just like everyone else would.
I was simply stating that after you receive a TOL you are no longer in competition with other people so it don't matter if someone else doesn't have a DUI, because your not compared to anyone else’s record at that point or as a matter fact at any point Because after your TOL you are based solely for suitability/ clearance on the merits of your on history.

There is also a thing called a drug and alcohol contract in which you can enter into with the FAA, in which people with questionable backgrounds agree to a contact that states something along the lines of any new drug or alcohol incidents is grounds for immediate termination no questions asked.

Do you have a tentative offer yet?

:yeahthat: Exactly, Bigey

bigshawnie - I see where you're coming from, but there have been people who have made it to OKC, have already started classes, and have been let go of because of something on their security or medical. When you get to OKC, your clearances are still tentative, so even sitting in class in OKC isn't a guarantee that you have the job yet.

CHI CHI, from what Ive read on this forum the FAA is no longer allowing interim clearances to go to OKC and with a DUI 1.5 years ago I highly doubt he would even be granted an interim clearance in the first place

I was told today at the PEPC, by the flight surgeon, that DUIs are frowned upon and anytime during the first year of employment, which he said were basically probationary, would be grounds for termination if any such actions occurred. He did leave any incidents that occur after the first year open ended whether or not a DUI would be automatic grounds for termination.

I was told today at the PEPC, by the flight surgeon, that DUIs are frowned upon and anytime during the first year of employment, which he said were basically probationary, would be grounds for termination if any such actions occurred. He did leave any incidents that occur after the first year open ended whether or not a DUI would be automatic grounds for termination.

Perhaps after the first year it's expected.

I got a DWI approx 1.5 years ago. Would this prevent me from getting hired by the FAA as an air traffic controller? Thanks.

No, it will not.

We have a new guy in our facility who got a DUI when he was underage.

Although I don't know any of the details other than that he's stated he has one - he has stated that the medical examiner was more problematic than security in regards to the hiring process.

What I do know though, that should you be a new hire on probation with a DUI on record - sitting in the operational area constantly telling stories of your current (frequent) drunken excursions can cause, shall we say, problems...

I agree that by no means is a TOL a guaranteed job with A DUI 1.5 years ago, but you shouldn’t be discouraged and should apply just like everyone else would.
I was simply stating that after you receive a TOL you are no longer in competition with other people so it don't matter if someone else doesn't have a DUI, because your not compared to anyone else’s record at that point or as a matter fact at any point Because after your TOL you are based solely for suitability/ clearance on the merits of your on history.

There is also a thing called a drug and alcohol contract in which you can enter into with the FAA, in which people with questionable backgrounds agree to a contact that states something along the lines of any new drug or alcohol incidents is grounds for immediate termination no questions asked.

Do you have a tentative offer yet?

The contract thing is true...
Also..its more up to the head of security for your region than anything else....

I have a bit of personal experience on this one: I was hired by the FAA about two years ago from a job fair. One of the guys I was hired in with has two misdemeanors on his record, one being a DWI, and he was hired. He said that everything must be full disclosure. Don't lie because you are embarrassed, because they will find out anyways. Best to be up front.
I went to OKC and was hired into my facility, and, while there, got myself a DWI. While in your probationary year, this is a big no no, and I was forced to resign.
I am trying to get hired, once again. With my DWI being 1.5 years ago, I am in the same exact shoes as you, so good luck. I surely am hoping for the best.

One of my CTI instructors said any DUI/DWI on your record will be disqualifying. She was a controller in the air force in Berlin for many years, but she never worked in the states. She could be wrong. Also, one of my former classmates who's dad is a controller at ZMP said his dad has seen a controller get terminated immediately after getting a DUI. It wasn't a new controller either.

She was a tower controller in the states for a while. 2 guys in my class had DUI's in the past and were not able to get hired. P.S. She's never wrong...hail the queen... jk... i loved her haha

A DWI will not disqualify you from an ATC position. I had one in June of '06 & got a TOL in July of '08. What it will do is keep you from getting an interim clearance to go to OKC. You should expect to wait a little longer than others. When you go to a PEPC you will have to explain your situation/circumstances regarding the offense. They want exact details. Meaning, they want to know the exact events leading up to the offense, where you were, who you were with, your BAC at the time of the offense, what you did after the offense, etc. All my clearance are in & I am just waiting for a class date. Everyone else is correct in saying that any further infractions will result in termination. They are very clear about this during your interview at the PEPC.

I agree - whatever you do, make sure you tell them EVERYTHING! I too screwed up. After I told my family about it, I immediately contacted my security officer at my current job. I provided them with ALL of the details and my clearance had to be reinvestigated. I was so afraid I was fired but everything checked out and I'm still here.

Hopefully the same will prove true for me during this process...but I can't be mad if it doesn't. No one's fault but my own. I just know I will give them any and every bit of information they need.

Back